Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay As You Go Gas/Leccy Meters

Pay As You Go Gas/Leccy Meters

Was visiting friends earlier, they'd had someone from a power company at the door earlier today, who told them that from January, they won't be able top up their existing meters at shops.

I haven't heard anything about any changes of this nature and so I've suggested that it was a ploy to change suppliers and have a smart meter installed, after all, there would need to be an awful lot of meters changed between now and January if consumers had no way to top meters up, otherwise many people would have to go without any supply of gas/leccy at the coldest time of year, if there was no way for them to top up their keys/cards.

Anyhoo, has anyone here heard about such a thing, have I missed an announcement being made about this?

There's an article here about the Paypoint service ending. But the replacement service will allow top ups at Post Offices.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...s-set-to-end-/

This only affects British Gas customers. (For both Gas and Electricity pre-pay meters).

If they are with British Gas then when they next top up at the paypoint they will be told that the paypoint service for British Gas is ending on 31st December, it will also be printed on their receipt.

I got this information last week when I topped up my gas.
    I have heard nothing about this yet from BG themselves.
    (The store where I top up is also a Post Office, so I should be able to continue topping up there anyway).

If you can't easily get to a Post Office or Payzone store then one option is to switch provider.
    Here is Paypoints' listing of providers who are still with them. (Note that it says BG only until 31 December 2019):
    https://www.paypoint.com/energy

You could alternatively ask BG to provide a PAYG smart meter so that you can top up online.
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-sou...t-smart-meters
    I'm not sure if you can get one if you have gas only from BG, they may make it a condition that you have electricity from them as well?
    ( Modern SMETS2 smart meters can cope with different gas and electricity porviders, but you can't currently have one for gas on it's own although you should be able to in future, currently the smart gas meter needs to communicate with a smart electricity meter 'communications hub' for it to send information to the gas supplier).
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-11-19 at 15:30.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Many places are replacing the pay point service with another service. My local post office has done this so I had to make a 20 mile round trip to top up my key meter and use the coupons from the warm home discount.

Main reason for changing was because the pay point spent more time not working than actually working.

Many thanks for your replies Noisy noodle, Nukecad and Cornwall. I'll let my friends know so that they can think about what they want to do about it. Our post office isn't too far away and they have plenty of family that live even closer to it, so topping up there won't be a problem for them but nonetheless, they'll at least know what's happening.
    Wouldn't you have thought BG would contact people themselves, especially since post offices are going to be closed on more days than our local shops during the holidays * sigh *

Anyhoo, thanks again for the info, it might be helpful to other people on this forum to know about it and be prepared too.

And the latest in the British Gas saga.

I had no worries about this top-up card change, because the store were I top up also has a seperate Post Office counter open during the day.
    So when the store's Paypoint stopped doing British Gas I could just use the PO counter as widely advertised.

I've just been to the PO counter only to be told "Our payment terminal won't top up BG cards, there've been a lot of people in to try".

So it seems that you can top up your gas meter at Post Office counters - unless you can't.
    I'm not sure if it's just a problem with our PO's terminal, of if it's a general problem with sub-PO's.

So I'll now be having to use the £5 emergency on the meter until I can get a top up.

The nearest place I can top up now seems to be a 1 mile uphill walk away, or a 90 mins round trip by bus to the nearest 'big' town.

Time to look into options it the PO/BG don't get it sorted out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Priffy View Post
    Was visiting friends earlier, they'd had someone from a power company at the door earlier today, who told them that from January, they won't be able top up their existing meters at shops.

I haven't heard anything about any changes of this nature and so I've suggested that it was a ploy to change suppliers and have a smart meter installed, after all, there would need to be an awful lot of meters changed between now and January if consumers had no way to top meters up, otherwise many people would have to go without any supply of gas/leccy at the coldest time of year, if there was no way for them to top up their keys/cards.

Anyhoo, has anyone here heard about such a thing, have I missed an announcement being made about this?

Now days it should be done over the internet or phone only.

I See this is just for british gas after further reading, and its not what I thought, scrapping all over the counter topups.
    Last edited by worried33; 07-01-20 at 23:41.

im with british gas and got a letter saying getting topup from post office was ending but then got another letter saying topup would continue at post office

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    Now days it should be done over the internet or phone only.
    You can do that if you have a PAYG smart meter, but not with a standard card/key meter.

(British Gas used to have a gizmo that you could attach to your computer, put your card/key in, and top up your card/key that way - it's no longer shown as an option on their website so it's probably not available anymore).

Seems like they removed it to try and "encourage" people to get a smart meter? just seems so daft having to go to a shop to buy a top up in 2020.