Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accidentally given DWP too much info about a bank account I have. What do I do? Help!

Accidentally given DWP too much info about a bank account I have. What do I do? Help!

DWP ESA wrote to me today asking for bank statements as doing a yearlu check on my savings that may affect my allowance. I havent used one bank account since Mum left me money in her will many years ago. I wrote it on a piece of paper I gave to JC this morning to scan and they sent it and asked if ESA can ring me when they have received statements and my signing on piece of paper. Mum passed away 7 years ago. Will they raise this with me? All I have is a solicitors letter confirming what she left me. I wasn't the executor her two sons were. Can someone advise me. I didn't mean to tell them why the money has been same for all these years I just meant to say I havent used this account in all this time. Please help asap. TY. I am so worried now. What have I done????
    Last edited by birdgirl; 22-11-19 at 15:47.

It depends on how much it is and on what benefits you get (CB or IR, housing benefit etc)

I am on CB and IR. £1,000 but as I said it was 7 years ago. I wanted to explain why the bank account hasn't been used for all this time, I just meant to say I wasn't using the account, which I did but not how I came about the money. Bank is still paying tiny bits of interest on it, but its like 17p a month, the account is still open. I am not well at all atm and not thinking straight. They know about the account, I sent them a pile of statements when I got paid some money for their error last year. (I still have copies of the statements).
    Last edited by birdgirl; 22-11-19 at 16:23.

I know I have been incredibly stupid re this but can someone please advise what the DWP will do about this situation.

Don't worry, you don't seem to have any problem there especially as you had already told them about it.

You may have had a problem if you hadn't told them about it.

£1,000 is not relevent, (unless you have savings in another account), IR benefits are only affected by savings/capital of above £6,000.

In fact you have probably only got this letter because they already know about it, they are just checking what your balance is now.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I have savings in my current account around £10,000, I am also on contribution based esa. When Mum passed away I was on Incapacity.

A thousand pounds, we'll they shouldn't be bothered with that only if it put you over 6k then they may work out what you may owe them then reduce your payments until any overpayment is sorted. Don't worry be upfront and you will get past this chapter. So you wrote all this out on paper and didn't submit the statements to be scanned. I wouldn't worry unless you won or inherited a large sum.

Are you on income related payments of any kind.

I have 1157 in total in current and saver account.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeLord View Post
    Are you on income related payments of any kind.
    Yes, atm I get 254,90 a fortnight on support/ir 128,45 support group 127,45 ir, in Feb £6250 savings and investments. current account 10,538
    Last edited by birdgirl; 22-11-19 at 18:14.