Thread: Short term car insurance?

Short term car insurance?

So, at present I have a Skoda Yeti on a 3yr personal lease, this ends June 27th. Due to my previous car my insurance renewal date is May 2nd.

The current plan is to go back on Motability and pick up the car the same week the Yeti goes back.

I asked my insurance company if they could extend the cover until the end of June but they say no.

So far (as far as I can see) my choices are these,

1. Find short term insurance for the Yeti for 2 months, the sites I've looked at are around £170 for 28 days. So about £350 plus the lease payments as usual.

2. Order the new car for the 1st week of May and let the insurance end but have to pay 2 months lease at £200 a month plus the Motability payments on the new car (£265 calendar month)

Any ideas on how to do it any cheaper?

I would take out a full years insurance then cancel it when you get the new car from Motability. You most probably will have an early termination charge but I think that may be much cheaper than taking out short term insurances

Indeed Beau (and thanks for the reply!) I had a look round today and Aviva say there are no penalty charges for terminating pay monthly policy early as long as it's paid up to date.

I'll try and do more digging tomorrow and see what else I can find. I asked the garage about extending the Yeti lease (it's only £169 a month plus the service plan and insurance) but they said after 3yrs the car simply goes to British Car Auctions, I don't even need to return it to the garage, BCA will come and collect it.

Trying now to decide what to replace it with, the height is excellent for me (being 6' 5" with poor mobility etc.), this one was a bargain being the last batch of Yetis made, came with heated windscreen, seats and door mirrors as well as sat-nav etc.

So far it's looking like the tallest car will be a Ford Kuga (1.74m) or a Volvo XC40 (1.65m) or the Seat Taracco (1.67m)

My PIP renewal has just gone in but I'm not hopeful I'll ever get enhanced rate mobility despite having high rate DLA for quite a few years. Luckily my Autistic son got a 10yr award with enhanced rate so we can use that, the car is used to get him out of the house when I can which is about 90% of its usage. It also means we should be able to get him driving lessons, I don't know if he'll ever go anywhere on his own again, he hasn't been out on his own for over 7 years now

Our neighbour has a SsangYong on Motability, that is quite high, he is a tall chap,

Hi Beau I'm afraid SsangYong are never going to be on my list (despite what Fwipperie would say!), terrible cars

Surprisingly I got enhanced mobility for "an onging period", all I have to do now is find a suitable car. Not that easy, I was looking at the Nissan X-Trail Tekna but the AP just went up from £1,799 to £2,899!!!!!. Hopefully the new Ford Kuga will be on the scheme in April when I need to sort something.

No idea about them, just know my neighbour is tall and has one.
    Have you thought about the Dacia Duster, they seem quite tall. Essentially Renault under the bonnet.
    Although we are not tall so can't comment on the fit. We have had 2 and found them to be very reliable with a good mpg. We are not on Motability though.
    In fact many taxi drivers at home and abroad are using them, always a good sign.