Thread: Wheelchair charging

Wheelchair charging

Hi, I use a wheelchair due to being housebound but cannot plug into charge over night due to electrical sensitivities so I have a spare battery - this is charged for 12 x 3 hours before I have it swapped over. this spare battery does not seem to be holding its charge and is relatively new - any recommendations for charging it better, is it damaged? or am I overcharging it? any advice please - thanks

RaspberryRipple
    Quote Originally Posted by megsyjenks View Post
    Hi, I use a wheelchair due to being housebound but cannot plug into charge over night due to electrical sensitivities so I have a spare battery - this is charged for 12 x 3 hours before I have it swapped over. this spare battery does not seem to be holding its charge and is relatively new - any recommendations for charging it better, is it damaged? or am I overcharging it? any advice please - thanks
    I am a full time powerchair user.
    The answer is simple. Stick to one battery and charge it overnight either every night or every other night.
    You MUST let the battery go through the full charging cycle and that is usually between 5-8 hours depending on the type of battery.
    It doesn’t do you or the chair any harm whatsoever to have the battery charging up overnight.
    If you don’t allow the full charging cycle your chair won’t work as well and won’t function at its optimum nor will the battery last long.
    You need to read the manufacture’s instruction book for the best advice on battery preservation but it will be similar to my advice.

Edit: After reading your other thread about mould in your mattress I urged you to keep the heating on. A warmer house will also help preserve your battery life (in addition to daily charging using the full charging cycle as the cold is known for discharging batteries.
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; 05-12-19 at 12:25. Reason: Spelling

As Rasy has said, it is important to charge your batteries fully every day. If you don't, you will damage them - lead acid batteries especially do not like to be discharged, you should keep them topped up as much as you can.

Most mobility scooter and electric wheelchair chargers are rubbish and simply don't do the job well enough to make our batteries last as long as they should. The manufacturers' don't care about this of course because it means their dealers get to sell you new batteries every year or so.

You can research this problem yourself on the internet, but a good start would be to follow this link: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/my-p...ont-charge.htm

Have a good look around this website, there is LOTS of information as well as a very useful (although not very busy) forum.