Thread: WCA lib dems vs labour

WCA lib dems vs labour

There has been lots of comments made in the past about Labour wanting to scrap the WCA, according to the BBC it looks like that Labour didnt want to proceed with that policy. So were all talk, but interestingly the Lib Dems do have it as a policy.

Just a heads up to people if the WCA is an important issue for you.

The problem is that if you scrap the WCA now then what are you going to replace it with?

It doesn't need scrapping, it needs rethinking and making fairer.

There is already a lot of case law set down about what they can't get away with during the assessment/reassessment process.
    If you replace WCA's with something else then all that case law becomes obsolete and has to be built up again for any new process.
    Which takes years of new appeals; during which the DWP can make up it's own interpretation of the law again, until case law stops them.

We are already seeing this with UC.
    Years of case law built up for legacy benefits don't apply to UC - and so the same old problems are being repeated all over again and it will take new Upper Tribunal appeals to get case law which does apply to UC.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The question hasnt been answered, I assume they want it based on certification from GP's or a new assessment process drawn up. There was mention of bringing back the independent living fund, but I dont know how that fund works.

WCA without regulation's 26 and 35 would have collapsed a while back, the descriptors arent fit for purpose. Its truly shocking as well they can "pretend" someone has an aid they dont have. DM's in the DWP know its so hard to even get 3 points, that they even are known to try and get people with 3 points over the line.

I wouldnt be against reforming WCA, but my view is it would need a lot of changes, not just minor tuning. Minimum reassessment times set to at least a couple of years for those in the SG, bring back the old IB descriptors, and make it so "any" points gets you WRAG and 15 points via any combination gets you SG, I would do that as a starting point.

Also unrelated but I think WRAG itself needs reforming, the idea of WRAG itself had so much potential, but the execution has been horrible, its barely fit for purpose, that group should be given proper support, like supplying working aids, training for jobs suitable for people with LCW and a perpetual status. By that I mean if someone starts work, they keep their ESA status, their payment is paid to employer to subsidise their employment (the only way people will be employable is if employers are paid to employ them), if the job doesnt work out, then the payments go back to claimant with an automatic process, no new claim, no new assessment. Have specific jobs lined up for people on WRAG such as data entry working from home for the NHS, that sort of thing. Instead of telling them if they dont attend an interview they going to be sanctioned and pretending thats support.

As long as the horror stories continue regarding the WCA, One can only conclude that it should be scrapped completely, I seem to remember The man who designed it said it was never intended to be used the way it is.

The latest horror story I found on YouTube A man with a terminal brain tumour who has been given nine months to live and is receiving both chemotherapy and radiotherapy daily has been told to make himself available for work as he did not qualify for ESA...... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE! (Yes I shouted that) It seems that some people who are sick may not be dying quickly enough To get benefits!

It would seem now the most sensible thing for them to do would be to actually ask those who are claiming sickness benefits or disability benefits how they can adapt the system.

I’m sure we’ve got our own ideas individually as to what could be done. I think we’ve all had enough of this now.