Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESA Re-assessment queries

ESA Re-assessment queries

I've posted about this before but forget where & when so I'm having to start a new thread. Apologies

I've been on ESA in the WRAG since Sep 2017 & have recently had a fresh work capability assessment. I've received a copy of the report but am not sure what it means as unlike the initial assessment I can't see any scoring for descriptors or indeed any mention of descriptors in it. There are 13 pages in the 2017 assessment relating to activity outcomes that don't appear anywhere in the 2019 one. It's an eight-page report now as compared to 24 pages previously and the sequencing of aspects of the report also appears to be different.

Does this mean the HP has omitted huge chunks of their report and as such I'll be called in again?

Also the conclusion confuses me somewhat

"The client was found to meet the criteria for Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity"

Does this mean he is recommending me to be moved to the support group? That's what it looks like to me but without seeing a scoresheet I have no way of knowing.

Obviously the decision maker has the final say. My chief concern is over the 'missing' sections. I'm wondering if this means recall or whether the DWP will first ask the HP why these sections are missing.

"The client was found to meet the criteria for Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity" means support group. If they were able to decide you meet the criteria for support group without going through all of the question s that would explain why the report is short - no need to go into all of it as you already qualified for the support group.

Thank you very much. That's a weight off my mind. I was afraid it meant I'd be called in for a further assessment. It's nerve-wracking enough as it is without having to go through it again. I've been trying to find out more online but it's like trying to get through a maze. Do you think the DWP are likely to challenge the report? How often does that happen? I'm thinking again of its comparative brevity. The real relief is that they have't found me fit for work. I'm 63 & have several disabilities. I do some permitted work but I know damned well I'm not capable of 35-40 hours per week and that was my main concern.

If they DO put me in the support group what does that mean in terms of benefit? I mean is there an increase? Or is it just that I don't get called in to see a 'job coach' every now and then? My current position is ESA (income related) WRAG. There are two of us in the household (myself and my wife). Although put into this group in September 2017 I was receiving ESA from March 2017, just before the cut-off point for losing benefit.

You wont have obligations to do any work related activity, so no work coach interviews.
    You will qualify for the LCWRA premium and the EDP premium as extra payments. If you already have a LCW premium (old WRAG), then the LCWRA replaces that, not in addition.

Thank you. Yes, that's what I thought WRT the work coach though TBH they've been very good and sympathetic. I keep invoices, receipts etc but they've never even asked to see them. Would you know if the LCWRA premium the same amount as LCW under another name or is it a higher sum? EDP is I presume enhanced disability premium, yes? Would I have to apply for that separately or is it automatic?

EDP should be automatic given you already on IR ESA, I don't know the difference between LCW and LCWRA premiums, I did quickly try to look but it seems the information has been removed from many sites as I guess its considered out of date. But when I migrated from IB the difference was quite low, EDP is worth around £16.80 extra a week.

The current ESA rates for a single person over 25 are:

£73.10 Personal Allowance.
    £29.05 LCW (WRAG) Component, (Only payable if the ESA claim was made before March 2017).
    £38.55 LCWRA (Support Group) Component.
    Only one of the group components is payable at any time depending on which group you are in.

£16.80 EDP. Paid to all in ESA SG with an IR entitlement. (May also be paid in ESA WRAG depending on circumstances).
    £65.85 SDP. Maybe paid if you also have DLA/PIP, other conditions apply.
    Both disability elements can be in payment at the same time if you qualify for both.

You can find all the current ESA rates and premiums here: https://www.focusondisability.org.uk...2019-2020.html

And for completeness-
    UC rates can be found here: https://www.focusondisability.org.uk...2019-2020.html
    PIP rates can be found here: https://www.focusondisability.org.uk...2019-2020.html

All three of those pages get updated as/when the new years rates are officially announced.
    You may like to bookmark them, or make a note of them, for future reference.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-12-19 at 09:00.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. And bookmarked those sites. Looks like a rise of just over £30 pw (IF decision maker accepts HP report), i.e. would replace lost DLA with a a fiver or so on top Just my luck DLA stopped a few months back but presume if I win my PIP appeal this will apply. I ran everything through Turn2Us calculator & ESA made sense but I can't make head nor tail of the UC link. Turn2Us suggested £20pw MORE if WRAG & £30 if Support Group (if I've done calculations correctly), after making allowances for housing benefit & council tax rebate forming part of UC. I didn't think that could be right so used link provided here and ended up totally confused. The allowances for LCW & LCWRA all come under 'disabled child additions' Must be a mistake surely? Even using that it comes out as £100 pw LESS than now. I don't think I'm stupid but I just don't understand this at all.

Just done it again. I'd assumed housing benefit was part standard element UC not additional. But figures still seem wrong. Extra £1.50 pcm on UC compared to ESA WRAG but a whopping £65.50 to the good UC compared to support group. But loss of council tax rebate would mean about £100 pcm WORSE off if WRAG and around £50 pcm worse off if support group. Unless council tax rebate is included in housing element but I can't see that anywhere. If it is and I'm moved to support then if other calculations are right I'd be better off transferring to UC but if remaining WRAG then not worth the hassle and the five-weeks wait for £1.50 pcm.

I am utterly, utterly, lost

Quote Originally Posted by scotleag View Post
    The allowances for LCW & LCWRA all come under 'disabled child additions' Must be a mistake surely?
    Yes there is a heading missing underneath the 2 disabled child additions.
    Actually it is there but formatted wrongly - That "Limited Capability/Carers element" is the heading and should be in red in the middle of the page without any amounts on that line.

Council Tax rebate is not part of UC at all, it remains seperate and is still administered and paid seperately by your council.
    Any amount that you calculate for UC will not include CTR.
    Your CTR may change though if/when you get UC, each council has its own rules and some who have migrated to UC have reported their CTR has been reduced.
    The entitledto calculator picks that up and lists it seperately, I'm not sure about the turn2us calculator.

You also have to be careful comparing weeks to months, for a direct comparison of old and new it's not just 4 weeks to a month. (and not just 52 weeks to a year either).
    The way to get a correct comparison is to to multiply weeks by 52.143 then divide by 12 to get a monthly equivqlent.
    See: https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post137494

From that link you'll see that taking ESA/UC on it's own (and ignoring any other UC elements).
    UC-LCWRA pays a single person, over 25, £22.06 a week (£95.85 a month) more than ESA Suport Group with EDP.
    (Which is how the government can say that many disabled people will be better off on UC).
    UC-LCW pays £0.01 a week more than ESA WRAG.

Of course that's just a simple comparision of ESA and UC Limited Capability elements, other factors such as housing benefit/housing element, carer premiums/carer element, and Child Tax Credits/Child element may also apply.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-12-19 at 17:18.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.