Thread: Smartwatch/fitness tracker for manual wheelchair user in the UK

Smartwatch/fitness tracker for manual wheelchair user in the UK

Does anyone on this forum have or know of a smartwatch or fitness tracker that is able to measure the distance pushed by the user wearing it? I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas so I'm looking for ideas as to what is the best one to get. I know that the latest Apple Watches are able to do this but they are too expensive and need an iPhone (so more expense) to work properly. I have an Android phone that only came out this year so it is fairly up to date so would prefer an Android device if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance.

If you are just looking for the distance you have propelled yourself in your chair then I think a bicycle odometer may be better.

You can get either mechanical (no battries to go flat) or electronic ones very cheaply:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079HR4B...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odometer-Me...4C8VSZDGPY2WTQ

You can even get wireless ones with no cables:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TQSYT...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your local cycle shop should be able to help you out, and even fit one for you.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-12-19 at 07:34.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the reply, looking at the links you provided it seems like it wouldn't be that easy to see the screen while pushing and also I'd like a heart rate monitor to keep an eye on my health as well but thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by owenmahamilton View Post
    looking at the links you provided it seems like it wouldn't be that easy to see the screen while pushing
    That seems a strange objection, how would a smartwatch on your wrist, (or a phone not fixed to the chair), be easier to see while you are pushing?

Smart watches can track/record your arm movements so should be able to count the number of pushes that you make.
    That's how they count steps taken, by the movement of your arm not your legs.
    They count distance travelled by GPS positioning. The smarter ones can work out from the speed if you are walking or in a vehicle.

Fitbit is Android compatible, but it will still record the arm movements as steps so you would have to work out how a push of the wheel related to a step length for distance.
    You could do that by pushing for a known (or GPS recorded) distance and dividing distance traveled by number of steps/pushes.
    https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta...g/td-p/2205042
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I suggest you buy Apple series 3, I am using this, I purchased it from Christmas Deals at reecoupons, by using Christmas Coupons, and trust me Its best fitness watch for me, in shops its too expensive and from there I bought half of market price, plz go there once there are many others are available too, you can buy according to your choice.