Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going on with this site!!

I have been away for 10 days and there were pages and pages of spam. I gave up trying to filter the genuine posts out and marked all as read.

There is a way you can filter out spambot posts, but it's a bit of a faff and only worth it if there are a lot and they are all made by the same username(s).

1. Identify that it's a bot attack. Fairly easy - multiple spam posts in a short time.
    2. Click the bot's username where it appears in blue, this takes you to their profile page where you 'Add to Ignore list'.
    3. Go back to the forum and do the same for anymore bots.
    4. Whilst this will not stop their posts appearing in the New Posts list, or on the basic forum itself, it will stop them appearing in the 'New Forum Posts' on the right of the forum main page.
      This only shows you the last 4 posts so you need to keep an eye on it.
    5. Alternatively you can show more than the last 4 by going 'Home' to the Yourable main page and then clicking 'FORUMS'.
      This brings you back to the 'Activity Stream' which also does not show you posts by users you have ignored.
      Or-
      There doesn't seem to be a button here for the Activity Stream so here's a link if you want to bookmark it: https://www.youreable.com/forums/activity.php

Like I say a faff, but it does work during a large attack like this.

You can then wait until a mod/admin removes the spam.
    (Or you could go to 'New Posts' on the menu bar and 'Mark Forum Read' - remembering that this will mark everything as being read not just the spam).

Of course the real solution is to appoint more than one moderator who know what they are doing, and not just delegate the job part time to a junior member of staff.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I contacted the owners by email twice offering to Moderate, and also mentioned Nukecad as he has experience and is active here.

The first time they sent a response saying they will consider it but never followed up.

The second time i got no response at all.

I don't think they care or are even bothering to try now, there are multiple spam posts in just about every section of the forums going back 2 weeks and more.

I am an experienced moderator and like others have volunteered to no avail

It feels like they have left it to run down & then close it

I only know of one more which is very busy & ask's for money for different forms they have compiled, hope they just don't go with no warning

Earlier I checked when was the last time dlfteam logged onto the forum.

That did it - I have now emailed Shaw Trust about the moderation/spam removal problem here.

We'll see what DLF's 'bosses' comes back with.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hear hear, I'm not sure if it's members accounts being hacked or spam bots but someone has to open the initial account I thought when I joined it was fairly tightly run, but it seems very targeted by a agenda illegal spam bot.

Thanks Nuke for doing that for us

Thanks Nuke

I had a look too, 15 days,

Last Activity
    12-04-2019 07:13 PM