Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going on with this site!!

What's going on with this site!!

Hi all
    I was a member of the original site many moons ago and stayed with it i think the twice it changed, everytime i come on here now there are a load of posts that are in different languages or offering things that are nothing to do with benefits!
    My pip review is due in 2020, got the sse payment through so i must have got in in time for it. Health as expected just keeps getting worse. So if any of you want to write just about what's with them or about actual benefit stuff using this thread then please feel free.
    Final note just want to Wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

It's the site lack of moderation.

If I had mod access here I could take down all of todays crap in about 15 seconds.
    (I'd probably have caught it and banned the spambot before the majority of it was even posted).

I'd love to have even just a few days of mod access here to clean the site up.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nukecad,

Who are the people who are mod's/own this site? Can you give us a way of contacting them so we can complain to them to get moderation here that is around enough to catch the spambots &/or delete the spam?

Thanks

If I knew that I'd be on it.
    Being a mod on another couple of fora it sort of bounces off me.
    I'm used to seeing crap that regular members can't see.

One thing I will say is that the amount of spam always gets heavier at this time of year.
    (I hate Christmas spammers. EDIT they are not spamming about Christmas - It seems to be students on holiday trying to make some money online).

I have in the past been through the 'Contact us' and given some help, suggestions, and even spam filter advice.
    Which worked for a while.

I believe that the problem is that back in 2010 or so the forum (which had different owners at that time) had a problem with volunteer mods going 'rouge' and acting inappropriately.

So ever since them they will only use their own staff as moderators.
    I suspect that the job is given to new staff members who have no experience of spam removal (let alone moderation) so are keen to pass the responsibility on to someone else.
    Probably someone new who again doesn't have any experince.

Another thing that may confuse it is that if/when you make suggestions to help they will go to the current moderator(s) who may not want to admit that they don't have the needed skills/experience.

I do have an idea about how to possibly get something changed, but I've avoided it up to now to concentrate on helping people.
    But when the amount of spam gets in the way then it may be time to rethink that.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-12-19 at 17:44.

Arh I see,

Yes maybe time to roll out that idea of yours not sure if they are more busy this time of year if so perhaps Jan would be better to tackle it?

I have no idea how it works behind the scenes but could they give you just permission to get rid of spam posts? and nothing else?

Pleeeeease anyone who can help, please help.

We’ve just been condemned to 5 more years of UC and further WCAs along with heaven only knows what! Our Prime Minister now has a mandate to do anything he wants and nobody will stop him and this website will become one of very few places vulnerable people can come to.

Posts could easily get overlooked because it’s to easy to assume there’s only spam here.

I agree - it's disgraceful and totally unnecessary. I've also been a moderator (on several forums over the last twenty years or so) and TBH I've never known one quite as bad as this. I only visit here a couple of times a month because of it.

RaspberryRipple
    Goodness agree with you there Sky. I’ve actually joined another forum as a result and if this doesn’t improve I’ll be leaving this one which would be a shame.
    I am fed up of the piles of spam and the fact no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Theres an item on the BBC today about a large European counterfiting ring being arrested.

Maybe that will stop the fake licence/passport/money posts for a while?

EDIT - Well it looks like that has stopped - but the spammer/spambot has just switched to something else.
    Last edited by nukecad; 17-12-19 at 18:17.

Nice to see that they've been caught, but as you well know NC; you delete/ban one and they just open another account. With so many VPNs available now, it's impossible to ban their IP too, so they need a team of mods to keep on top of it. Whoever is doing it now needs 'binning'.

I'd just like to say BTW, that I don't think this forum would be getting any visits at all if it wasn't for your help and input - you do a great job here holding it all together (despite not being a mod).

Which other forum did you join Rasy?