Thread: Bedroom tax for a converted bedroom

Bedroom tax for a converted bedroom

This year one of our bedrooms was converted into a wet room and through floor access for a lift and so now we have only 2 bedrooms in our council house that are in fact bedrooms but we have just had a letter from our local council stating that from April we will have a housing/council tax reduction because we have 3 bedrooms not 2.

I've been wondering about things like this. My guess is that if the Council (Social Services) did the conversion then the Council must accept there has been a reduction in the number of bedrooms. Even if the conversion was paid for privately Council permission must have been obtained. So surely the property must have been - or should be - re-classified as a 2 bedroom if only for the purposes of Council Tax and Land Registry?
    You could have received an automatically generated letter for which CT records have been used. I would query the situation with your Housing Office as soon as possible. If you don't get a satisfactory answer then put your query in writing - they will have to reply in writing.

Bedroom tax for a converted bedroom

Yes it was converted by the council, but we have had no letters about it being a 2 bedroom house now.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhag View Post
    Yes it was converted by the council, but we have had no letters about it being a 2 bedroom house now.
    I suspect until someone appeals this type of situation the council will say you have a three bed house with one converted to lift/wet room and when you move it will be changed back to a bedroom... now I am not saying thats right but to protect them selves councils might take that stance if they issue a bill to you and everyone else with room changes and only half appeal then they are quids in ...they might try the argument its still a bedroom just being used for something else

now we all know thats wrong but I bet it wont stop some councils trying it on

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    I've been wondering about things like this. My guess is that if the Council (Social Services) did the conversion then the Council must accept there has been a reduction in the number of bedrooms. Even if the conversion was paid for privately Council permission must have been obtained. So surely the property must have been - or should be - re-classified as a 2 bedroom if only for the purposes of Council Tax and Land Registry?
    You could have received an automatically generated letter for which CT records have been used. I would query the situation with your Housing Office as soon as possible. If you don't get a satisfactory answer then put your query in writing - they will have to reply in writing.
    council tax is done on property value not the number of bedrooms we have 2 bed cottages around here that cost more than some 5 bed detached houses up north .......... that property value is one based on house value many years ago and there is no plan to re visit house value based on changed since they where set.

under council building regs the only thing that would happen to a house where a wet room is fitted ... is that in the last few years any extra bath room wet room room is reported by the planning department to the water company that supplied water so they can fit a meter EVEN if you dont want one

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    council tax is done on property value not the number of bedrooms we have 2 bed cottages around here that cost more than some 5 bed detached houses up north .......... that property value is one based on house value many years ago and there is no plan to re visit house value based on changed since they where set.

under council building regs the only thing that would happen to a house where a wet room is fitted ... is that in the last few years any extra bath room wet room room is reported by the planning department to the water company that supplied water so they can fit a meter EVEN if you dont want one
    Yes true - CT is based on value. I'm just trying to think of which Council records could possibly need to be amended when this kind of alteration is done. It would probably have been more sensible to suggest Town Planning. One thing is for sure, this case will be one of many, and Councils will have a system to go through when adaptations are made, not least with building regs. As you say appeals are likely to be needed, which will only waste money and time IMO.