Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Esa3 and sdp and EDP queries.

Esa3 and sdp and EDP queries.

Hello, I received an esa3 form asking for bank statements going back a few years since I was transferred from ib to cb ESA.

I know its to see if I'm owed any back pay and to see if I'm eligible for any income related top ups. I live with relatives in their home and believe I'm not entitled to sdp because of this and because they claim no benefits either, I think I can get a little bit of the enhanced disability top up though.

As I say, I'm on cb ESA and have DLA as well but claim no others benefits myself. I have savings around the £8000 mark and get £6 transitional top up. I'm worried about going onto any ir ESA top ups in case it triggers me having to go onto universal credit now or in the future..

Also do you think its worth filling in the form for around an extra £1 a week?

Also how does it work when my savings fluctuate due to being too I'll to leave home and my money goes up and cancels out the top up? Do I have to constantly phone them and send bank statements.

What happens if I don't return the form, will I get into trouble? They also want to know all my personal banking details which I'm not comfortable with even though I've nothing to hide. Its just dealing with the DWP always sends me into a panic and worsens my anxiety.

I'm already late in sending the form back and worry what this will trigger off.

Any advice.

Fill the form in the best you can and send it back. If you've nothing to hide like you say just do it.Don't expect a quick answer because our took nearly 8 months.
    We didn't think we were going to get anything but we got quite a bit of backpay.

If you are living with relatives as a member of their household then as you say it's unlikely you qualify for SDP.
    If you pay them rent as a lodger/tenant though then you might do.

However there are a few important things that you are not considering:

If you are in Support Group then you would get the EDP of £16.80 a week added to your ESA, as Income Related ESA.

You would then have £8 a week deducted because of your savings.

The £6 TA would also end.
    But you haven't considered that the £6 TA will end on the 5th of April 2020 so you are going to loose that £6 in 3 months anyway - whatever you do now.
    (All IB-ESA Transitional Additions will end on 5th April 2020).

So getting the IR ESA added now would give you £8.80 a week extra in IR ESA every week from then.

But it's not just that extra £8.80.
    Having IE ESA will mean that you also get free prescriptions, dental care, sight checks, etc., etc.
    The savings in prescription charges alone can be substantial.

There would also be a lump sum to be paid backdated to when you transfered from IB.
    Just how much that lump sum would be will depend in what savings you had in those years, which is why they want to see your bank statements to work it out.

Universal Credit:
    Having an IR component to your ESA will mean that the IR part will eventually get migrated to Universal Credit, but only the IR part - your CB ESA will still be paid fortnightly as well as the monthly UC. (But the ESA payment will be deducted from the UC payment).

This is not a bad thing, if you have ESA Support Group with the EDP (but no SDP) then when you are migrated to UC you will become £22.06 a week better off than you were on ESA alone.

So even if you don't think it's worth it at the moment - doing it now will mean that you will be £8.80 a week better off from April - and another £22 a week better off in future when you do eventually migrate to UC.

To put it another way:
    If you do nothing then after April 5th you will get £111.65 a week CB ESA. (£5805.80 a year).
    If however you get the IR ESA added then after April 5th you will get £111.65 + £8.80 = £120.45 a week CB+IR ESA. (£6263.40 a year).
    Already looking better isn't it?

So from April 2020 you will be £475 a year better off than you would have been if you do nothing now.

Then at sometime in future the IR part of ESA will be migrated to UC and you will then get:
    £111.65 a week CBESA plus £172.62 a month UC. (£7877.24 a year).

So by sending off the ESA3 now and getting IR ESA added to your current CB ESA it means that as from April you will be £475 a year better off - and when you are eventually migrated to UC you will be over £2,000 a year better off.

Has that persuaded you to fill in the form and send the bank statements?

PS. All those figures quoted above are at current benefit rates, I can't yet say what next years rates will be (or indeed what the rates will be when Managed Migration starts) but they will be higher, meaning that the differences will also be higher.

PPS. I've included all deductions for savings and CB ESA in that payment figure for UC, if you want I can post the calculations but I thought it would be simpler just to give the end figure here.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-01-20 at 16:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If you are living with relatives as a member of their household then as you say it's unlikely you qualify for SDP.
    If you pay them rent as a lodger/tenant though then you might do.

However there are a few important things that you are not considering:

If you are in Support Group then you would get the EDP of £16.80 a week added to your ESA, as Income Related ESA.

You would then have £8 a week deducted because of your savings.

The £6 TA would also end.
    But you haven't considered that the £6 TA will end on the 5th of April 2020 so you are going to loose that £6 in 3 months anyway - whatever you do now.
    (All IB-ESA Transitional Additions will end on 5th April 2020).

So getting the IR ESA added now would give you £8.80 a week extra in IR ESA every week from then.

But it's not just that extra £8.80.
    Having IE ESA will mean that you also get free prescriptions, dental care, sight checks, etc., etc.
    The savings in prescription charges alone can be substantial.

There would also be a lump sum to be paid backdated to when you transfered from IB.
    Just how much that lump sum would be will depend in what savings you had in those years, which is why they want to see your bank statements to work it out.

Universal Credit:
    Having an IR component to your ESA will mean that the IR part will eventually get migrated to Universal Credit, but only the IR part - your CB ESA will still be paid fortnightly as well as the monthly UC. (But the ESA payment will be deducted from the UC payment).

This is not a bad thing, if you have ESA Support Group with the EDP (but no SDP) then when you are migrated to UC you will become £22.06 a week better off than you were on ESA alone.

So even if you don't think it's worth it at the moment - doing it now will mean that you will be £8.80 a week better off from April - and another £22 a week better off in future when you do eventually migrate to UC.

To put it another way:
    If you do nothing then after April 5th you will get £111.65 a week CB ESA. (£5805.80 a year).
    If however you get the IR ESA added then after April 5th you will get £111.65 + £8.80 = £120.45 a week CB+IR ESA. (£6263.40 a year).
    Already looking better isn't it?

So from April 2020 you will be £475 a year better off than you would have been if you do nothing now.

Then at sometime in future the IR part of ESA will be migrated to UC and you will then get:
    £111.65 a week CBESA plus £172.62 a month UC. (£7877.24 a year).

So by sending off the ESA3 now and getting IR ESA added to your current CB ESA it means that as from April you will be £475 a year better off - and when you are eventually migrated to UC you will be over £2,000 a year better off.

Has that persuaded you to fill in the form and send the bank statements?

PS. All those figures quoted above are at current benefit rates, I can't yet say what next years rates will be (or indeed what the rates will be when Managed Migration starts) but they will be higher, meaning that the differences will also be higher.

PPS. I've included all deductions for savings and CB ESA in that payment figure for UC, if you want I can post the calculations but I thought it would be simpler just to give the end figure here.

Hi nukecad. Thank you so much all that details as it has put a lot into perspective for me. I was just thinking its only an extra pound or so a week due to my savings and my transitional top up, but it would be a whole lot of hassle to deal with it. I didn't know the transitional top up ends in April.

I am in the support group, and I do pay my share of the bills in my relatives home. I have been able to get a medical exemption card for my prescriptions now due to not being able to go out alone which has been a big help as I have around 7 prescriptions a month and after having to pay for them for many years which was very expensive. The access to the dentist and optician would be a help though.

My savings during those years was around 7000 to 8500 max but is now under 7,000.

Do you know if they return the bank statements to me after they have viewed them as I am worried about them falling into the wrong hands with all my private info on them?

Also on the esa3 form it asks which account do I want any payments put into. I have post office account but there is no option for that, just bank details. Can I just write it next to it?

Thanks.

Hi nukecad, I forgot to ask if you know what happens when my savings fluctuate when I'm unable to leave the home and my money goes up temporarily. It would cancel out the extra £1 or so a week I would get now and lead to over payment from DWP. What do I do in that situation.?

Having a prescription exemption card is good, I have one myself, but it does need renewing now and again and doesnt cover the other stuff.

I don't think that contributing to the bills would be enough to qualify for SDP, you have to be 'classed' as living alone.

They don't normally return documents - but they are securely stored and destroyed when no longer needed.
    (Probably safer than sending them back through the post).

Savings sound OK, there should be backpay to come, but not as much as if the savings had been below £6k.

They don't like paying into PO accounts, it costs them more.
    But they still have to so just give them your PO account details.

They will ask now and again for bank statements to check fluctating savings
    The rule is that for every £250 (or part of £250) you have over £6,000 then they take £1 off your IR payment.

So with £8k that's 2k over, 2k divided by 250 is 8, so they would deduct £8 from the IR benefit.

If you reach £16k savings then IR benefit stops altogether.

OK thanks nukecad.

I've just had a text saying they will ring me sometime today. Is this normal as its making me panic. I know the form is going back a bit late but I thought that would be ok.

when I didn't send my form in, they rang me
    it is normal, please don't be concerned

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
    Hello, I received an esa3 form asking for bank statements going back a few years since I was transferred from ib to cb ESA.

I know its to see if I'm owed any back pay and to see if I'm eligible for any income related top ups. I live with relatives in their home and believe I'm not entitled to sdp because of this and because they claim no benefits either, I think I can get a little bit of the enhanced disability top up though.

As I say, I'm on cb ESA and have DLA as well but claim no others benefits myself. I have savings around the £8000 mark and get £6 transitional top up. I'm worried about going onto any ir ESA top ups in case it triggers me having to go onto universal credit now or in the future..

Also do you think its worth filling in the form for around an extra £1 a week?

Also how does it work when my savings fluctuate due to being too I'll to leave home and my money goes up and cancels out the top up? Do I have to constantly phone them and send bank statements.

What happens if I don't return the form, will I get into trouble? They also want to know all my personal banking details which I'm not comfortable with even though I've nothing to hide. Its just dealing with the DWP always sends me into a panic and worsens my anxiety.

I'm already late in sending the form back and worry what this will trigger off.

Any advice.
    EDP is worth more than £1 a week it should amount to about £16 a week. (£6 a week with your topup)

I didnt even qualify for the full period of backpay as I was already getting EDP for over a year and still got over £2000 backdated. No small sum.

The £8000 may possibly reduce it a bit but not by a large %.

Also are you sure the protection is worth that much? I was on the maximum IB with full age addition, and my protection over 8 years ago wasnt even £10 then, inflation should have brought that way down by now.
    Last edited by worried33; 06-01-20 at 19:27.

Worried33,

Did you read my post at #3 above? Jupiter quoted it again in post#4.

That explains exactly how much Jupiter's ESA would go up by, plus what would happen when UC migration comes in.