Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pip query

pip query

Hi when i went over to pip from dla was told it was to 2021 but will be reassessed 2020 so this yr march. I just wondered do they ever just carry on without doing a reassessment about the time they've said, like they've done with esa. Might seem odd question but i don't know anyone in person on pip who didn't get ongoing or 10yr awards so i don't know anyone personnaly whose been through it. Thanks upfront

They don't defer PIP reassessments, but can defer ESA reassessments - for the following reasons:

With PIP the award has an end date (unless it's an 'ongoing' award). So if they don't reassess before that end date then PIP payments stop at that date.
    (That's why they start the reassessment a year early, to give time for any MR/appeal if needed).

ESA on the other hand has no end date, ALL ESA awards are 'ongoing' with a date when your award should be reviewed (reassessment). So if reassessment is defered then ESA just remains in payment.

Having said that, we have seen a few cases recently where when it came time for a PIP reassessment the DWP have looked at the award and made it 'ongoing' without asking for another assessment to be held, this can even happen when you are not due for reassessment.

People approaching State Pension Age will also be given an 'ongoing' award without reassessment.

EDIT-
    Here is a post about awards being changed to 'ongoing' for those with serious conditions:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post167166

And for completeness here is an example of the letter you get if you reach State Pension Age before it's time for your next PIP reassessment:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...for-pensioners
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-01-20 at 14:50.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I think a year is nowhere near long enough for appeal haha. My last appeal took 18+ months.

My PIP assessment took 7 months, so that would only leave 5 for MR/appeal.

Someone on another forum is claiming they now have reduced it to just a 6 month window to reassess on PIP before end date which to me seems too short of a window.

It depends on the length of your PIP award.

Longer awards have a 'review date' set 12 months before the award ends, and get a PIP2 or AR1 at that review date.
    Some shorter awards may also have a review date and get the same.
    But other short awards have no review date and just get an invitation to re-apply 14 weeks before they end.

I've seen a decision makers chart about which shorter term awards should have a review date and which don't, unfortunately I can't find it again now, if I do I'll post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Longer awards have a 'review date' set 12 months before the award ends, and get a PIP2 or AR1 at that review date.
    Some shorter awards may also have a review date and get the same.
    But other short awards have no review date and just get an invitation to re-apply 14 weeks before they end.
    Here is that document about PIP award lengths and review dates which confirms the above:

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/s...%20%282%29.pdf

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question is somewhat similar.

Age 63 in April this year.
    Currently on Standard (DL), Enhanced (Mob).
    End date August '20. (started March '18)

Not yet received any notification of a review.
    Should I wait, or contact DWP?

Quote Originally Posted by adexico View Post
    End date August '20. (started March '18)

Not yet received any notification of a review.
    Should I wait, or contact DWP?
    You may have a "Short Fixed Term award (SFT) - No Review".

These are given if they think that you may improve in future.

In the chart in that link I gave above it says about SFT's:
    These are without Award Reviews. They can be for a minimum of 9 months and up to a maximum of 2 years.
    Then further down, under 'Short Fixed Term awards Without Review' it says:
    22. A SFT award without an Award Review stops when the award ends. If the claimant considers they still have difficulties with Daily Living and Mobility, they can claim again.

23. At 14 weeks before the award expiry date PIPCS automatically issues an ‘End of Award’ notification letter to the claimant or the appointee. This letter advises the claimant the award is ending and how to make a new claim if they believe their health needs have continued.
    So if you have a SFT award the you should get a letter around 14 weeks before it ends, saying that it is ending and that you need to make a new application for PIP if you still want it.

I can't find an example of that letter (yet) so I'm not sure if they include a PIP2? But I suspect that you may have to ring them to get one and make a new claim.

Thanks nukecad, I noticed that - but it's over two years.

I might just give them a call, and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by adexico View Post
    but it's over two years.
    Mmm, I hadn't clocked that it was more than 2 years.

No harm in ringing them and asking, even if it results in a reassessment that's got to be better than leaving it and having to sort things out in a rush before your PIP award ends.

Having now spoken with the PIP team via 0800 121 4433, I am told that renewal invitations are now sent out 6-months prior to the end of existing claim, rather than from 12-months as previously.