Thread: Local Authority refusing to rehouse on medical grounds help needed ?.

Local Authority refusing to rehouse on medical grounds help needed ?.

I currently live in a one bedroom flat as I'm a single person. I have schizophrenia and young persons dementia/ depression, am on medication and see a Psychiatrist and CPN from the CMHT. My mum and auntie help me a lot and they would take turns to stay overnight maybe 3-4 times a week, I require an "overnight carer" for my own safety and to supervise when relapsing (this happens often) memory loss and loss of reality. I also tend to wander at night and try to escape to commit sucicide and self harm. They currently sleep on an Air bed in the bathroom. One is 74 and the other is 81 surely it wouldn't be reasonable for them to sleep in the current set up at there age.

I get both High rate PIP 10 year award

Now according to the law I am entitled to a property with the extra bedroom. Confirmed by mulitple websites. Yet my social housing scheme /LH will not move me to the higher banding.

How would I go back appealing or taking legal action (judicial review)

Here is a screen grab of the current allocation policy

Housing.jpg
    Last edited by imadreamer; 12-01-20 at 20:13.

Is there a reason why you can't sleep on the air bed, as that would save all the hassle and upset of moving/appeals etc.

or kip in the living room on the air bed, rather than the bathroom, or invest in a sofa bed, again for the living room and as cornwall says it would save the hassle and upset of moving home which in my opinion is a very stressful time.

getting rehoused on mental health grounds can be tricky, as i know my local housing association are of the opinion if your mental health is that bad you should be sectioned or at least living in assisted living accomodation.

I also think that you are forgetting an important point.

That chart is regarding how many people are on the Tenancy Agreement, or living in the property (the 'Household composition').

Whilst your carers do stop overnight they are not living at the property, and so are not part of your household.
    You 'Household Composition' is one person - yourself.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm shocked that a 74 and an 81 year old sleep on an air bed in a bathroom you must be able to come up with something better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby123 View Post
    I'm shocked that a 74 and an 81 year old sleep on an air bed in a bathroom you must be able to come up with something better than that.

Hi you may very well be shocked that a 74 and an 81 year old sleep on an air bed in a bathroom. But all depends on this particular individual’s circumstances. If he or she has a one bed flat. The council or housing association. Go on the needs of that particular individual.

This particular individual needs help with filling out an application form in order to get a 2 bed flat. I speak with experience. After becoming homeless for 10years. Over that 10years I was looking after my friend who had many mental health issues. ( he was my friend of 30years ) I was helping him with Keeping hospital appointments and so on. On top of dealing with his mental health and heavy drinking issues. That was a complete nightmare. I also ended up becoming his career. Last two or three years of his life I discovered He had cancer. I ended up moving him and myself into a two bed flat. That was over Christmas 2016. I’d spent months chasing after keys for my current flat. Handed the keys on the 8th dec 2016. I was in the new flat for January 2017. That was after clearing both one bed flats over Christmas 2016. Only after that everything went mental. Cancer spread like wildfire. I was here for less than six months before he eventually died. I personally got depressed. drank every penny I could lay my hands on. I mean not everyone is able to cope with whatever Mental health issues they have. Some can while others cannot. And it’s not always possible to be able to come up with something better than that. More so if your on a low income. Or even benefits.