Thread: Moving home while on pip and esa

Moving home while on pip and esa

Currently get ESA and PIP along with severe disability premium and I am selling my home and all the proceeds along with £5000 of my own money and £5000 as a gift from my parents is going towards the new house purchase, will this affect my ESA and PIP claim or should I be OK?

No changes to my health and I will still be living alone.

There should not be a problem if all the proceeds from the sale of your current home go toward the purchase of a new home.
    Savings/Capital only affect IR ESA, the do not affect CB ESA or PIP.

There is a specific savings/capital disregard of 26 weeks for the purpose of selling your home and buying a new one.

The Decision Makers Guidance paragraph 52535 applies:
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...26/dmgch52.pdf
    Money from the sale of premises which were lived in as the home is disregarded to
    give a person time to buy other premises if the person is going to

1. use the money to buy premises and
    2. live in those premises as the home.

The period of disregard is 26 weeks or longer if it is reasonable from the date of
    sale.
    If you haven't bought a new home within 26 weeks of selling the old one then you need to inform them and ask for an extension.
    If you make any profit from the sale/repurchase then any monies over will be counted as savings for IR ESA purposes.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.