Thread: ESA basic question

ESA basic question

Good morning all, can anybody tell me how this ESA descriptor assessment works please. The descriptor is

"(a) Cannot unaided by another person either:
    (i) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion;
    ..."

No way can I walk at all. It is not because of significant discomfort or exhaustion that I can't walk, it is because I have no balance so I would tip over immediately if I tried. There must be more to the assessment - something simple that I am missing.

I was awarded ESA and support years ago, without having a clue why the DWP asked any of the questions. (And I was especially confused about why they asked a whole lot of them twice )

It would be good to understand how the DWP reasoned that descriptor. I tried researching it and found reams of information about manual vs electric wheelchairs etc., but nothing about my very basic question.

I moved house after that and lost my copies, too, so I have no idea whether at the time I applied perhaps I used some kind of "magic sentence" without realising it, that explained my inability to walk.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 21-01-20 at 12:16.

It's important to note that (unlike PIP) ESA does not consider walking, which is why they use the word 'mobilising'.

Mobilising can include getting about in a wheelchair (even if you don't have one) which is why you see all that stuff about wheelchairs.

The descriptor that you quote there is the Schedule 2 descriptor which scores points for WRAG.

You have Support Group which uses the Scedule 3 descriptors that are worded slightly differently and don't score points.
    Just meeting any one of the Sched 3 descriptors gives you SG, and points from Sched 2 are then irrelevent.

As to the reasoning behind the descriptors there are thousands of debates about that.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.