Thread: Severe disability premium.....

Severe disability premium.....

Early in January, I transferred form DLA to PIP. (enhanced care but standard mobility). My OH gets Esa and this morning he got a letter marked "urgent" to claim severe disability premium. He rang up and asked why he had been sent this as he didn't ask for it. It appears that because we are now both on enhanced care, he(we) can claim for the both of us.
    Reading the criteria on the website, it states you could claim it on high rate care when on DLA. He has had that for many years prior to him getting PIP a few years ago but he didn't get the premium whilst on DLA........ We are both confused over this.

I thought your transfer from DLA/PIP was back in January 2017? You made a few posts about it at the time.
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...n-the-31st-Jan

That post starts- "I have been awarded PIP. My DLA finishes on the 31st of Jan"

Was that actually your partner and not yourself, could you clarify that?

I can't find anywhere that you say what rate of DLA you were on yourself?
    Unless your DLA was also middle or high rate care, then neither of you would have qualified for SDP at that time.
    As a couple you both have to qualify to be paid SDP.

However if you are now both on PIP Daily Living (any rate) then you do qualify for SDP. (Unless someone is claiming Carerers Allowance for either of you).

I assume that they have sent you a form IS10, although they may have asked the questions over the phone it's quicker then sending the form.

If they have already done it on the phone then just wait, if they have sent or send a form then fill it in and send it back.
    They will work it out and if you qualify, which it seems you do or they wouldn't have sent the letter, then they will add the SDP to your ESA, as well as backpaying any owed.

That could be a fair chunk of backpay if was yourself that transfered to PIP 3 years ago in 2017 and are both owed SDP since then.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry for the confusion, it was my OH that got it back in 17. I got Pip in Jan this year.
    He was on enhanced DLA for both and then got enhanced Pip for both in 17.
    I was on low care but high rate mobility until Jan this year when I got awarded enhanced care but standard mobility.
    My OH gets IR esa but I get contribution esa.
    I read that there is a lower rate of SD if only 1 partner qualified. So why didn't he get that from the date when he got his Pip awards?

Thanks for cleaing that up.

When you were on low rate DLA you didn't qualify for SDP, and so he didn't qualify because he was living with an adult who didn't qualify themselves.

Now that you have PIP you do qualify, and because of that so does he.

His having IR ESA with you on his claim, and you having your own CB ESA is a bit more complicated though.
    I'd need to think more about that, and if it means he'd only get SDP for himself or 2 lots of SDP one for each of you.

As I'm in the pub again I'll leave that thinking for when I have a clearer head.
    But it may help to work it out if you are willing to say what you each currently get paid for your own ESA claims.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-01-20 at 17:26.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.