Thread: Quick PIP appeal query

Quick PIP appeal query

I've received a date for my PIP appeal but it says it's a Reassessments appeal. The initial letter I got acknowledging receipt of appeal said New Claim Appeals is this something to be concerned about (it is a new claim appeal) or just a clerical error I can ignore?

PS Sorry to start a new thread. I had one on this some time back but can't find it and don't seem to be able to back past Dec 23rd when looking at my posts.

Probably just clerical.
    It won't matter if it's new or not.

Although the DWP try to do new assesments more quickly (makes their figures look better) new asssements or reassessments are both treated the same at appeal.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks. I rang them up and basically they said the same. Nothing to be concerned about.

Had my PIP appeal today and it was successful. My thanks to all who have provided information and advice over several threads related to this one since June last year. I really do appreciate it. There have been a few of you and I can't remember everyone and don't want to single anyone out for fear of missing or offending anyone else. Just a great big thanks to you all. I'm still stunned by it all and finding it hard to take in. I have gone from zero points on both daily living and mobility to twelve points in each and have been awarded enhanced rate for both daily living and also for mobility.

I hope this gives some hope to others awaiting appeal and while I'm not really qualified to give advice and every case is different there are two things I would say that might help others in the same boat.

First, the clerk to the tribunal seemed surprised that today's hearing was 'only' just over seven months since the initial DWP decision to refuse my application. When I inquired at the start of the year I was told that June or July would be the most likely date. However I intimated I would be willing to accept a cancellation spot at short notice (basically I just wanted the whole thing done one way or the other) and I'm fairly sure that's what happened. So if you think you can attend at short notice please consider saying so.

Secondly, I'd say no matter how nervous your are or how much you dread the prospect go in person. The decision notice I received says "In reaching its decision the Tribunal placed particular reliance upon the oral evidence of the Appellant and the appeal papers" i can't say what decision would have been reached in my absence but clearly the Tribunal thought it important I had attended.

As always though I am still looking for advice. What is the timescale for the DWP to pay (my award is backdated to late July last year)? I've heard four-six weeks but I've also read that in some instances they are just not complying at all. if that's the case how long do I wait and how would I go about making them comply? Also, what do I need to do with regard to other bodies. I'm aware that PIP is non means-tested but do I need to inform housing benefit or council tax for example? Finally, are there knock-on effects in other areas? I am currently on ESA Support Group and claim for my wife and myself. I'm 64, she's 62 and isn't working at the moment. I also do a little bit of work - a couple of hours per week - which brings in £100 pcm.

I am sat here looking at the Decision Notice and can still scarcely believe it. If the DWP had awarded me standard daily living I'd have settled for that. They've shot themselves in the foot. This just feels totally unreal.

Just an update to this. I've had a call from the DWP this morning and they'll be sending out a letter with details of award and payment dates on Monday (which I'll probably receive a week or so later judging by past experience). Today is just ten days after the Tribunal so by the standards of the usually glacially-moving DWP this is a Usain Bolt level of response. One very happy bunny here though I'll wait to receive full details before popping the lemonade corks.

Good to hear.

Yes you should inform 'interested parties' such as the council, both HB and CT, of your PIP award once you have all the details.
    As you say it's doesn't count as income for means testing, but it can add to HB and CTR exemptions if you don't already have them.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I will. Already on maximum housing benefit but we pay around £30 pcm council tax (though that might well also be maximum rebate, not sure). Hoping it might help with housing waiting list as we are lowest band at the moment & time on list counts for nothing wrt allocations.