Thread: Am I entitled to any other benefits, other than...?

Am I entitled to any other benefits, other than...?

Good morning, all!
    I'll try keep it short as possible.
    Me and my partner are currently claiming UC.
    She is my carer and receives CA.
    I receive LCWRA and PIP due to my mental health/illness.
    We only started to claim UC from August 2019, previous to this I tried to work but failed due to a relapse in my mental health.
    I started to try working once my partner moved in with myself and she was working full time so I lost my benefits at the time so had no other choice really but to go out and work (I pushed myself and failed).
    Before I started trying to work and before my partner moved in I was claiming ESA - Support Group and PIP.
    I'm pretty sure I was receiving SDP when I was on DLA before the PIP transfer.
    The period when I tried to work I tried a few jobs and didn't succeed in them and there was months when I wasn't claiming anything as I believed I wasn't entitled to anything apart from PIP as my partner was still in full time work.
    I've read a little that people are getting back paid money they were owed from SDP.
    I should add that my partner/carer is currently awaiting a decision from a mandatory reconsideration for PIP for her physical illness.
    Is there any other benefits other than UC, Carers and PIP that I or my partner is/will be entitled to?
    What about the SDP? Should I have been receiving that as I was still receiving PIP during those months of being in and out of work?
    If my partner DOES receive PIP and gets awarded it, will we be able to claim SDP as a couple? Aswell as/instead of CA?
    I only ask as I was receiving a lot more in benefits when I lived alone and had to live/deal with my MH on my own.
    Tia

You do not qualify for any transitional payments/backpayments; those are only for those who previously had SDP and claimed UC before 19th January 2019.
    After January 2019 you were prevented by law from claiming UC if you had an entitlement to SDP, or had it in the previous month.

As your claim was in August 2019 then unless you had SDP in the month before you claimed UC (which you hadn't if you weren't claiming anything) then it's a valid UC claim.

There are no premiums in UC, there is no such thing as the EDP or the SDP in UC, so no you won't be able to claim it if your partner gets PIP.

With your partner claiming CA then her CA should be being deducted from the UC.
    However you should be getting an additional Carer Element (currently £160.20 a month, going up to £162.92 in April) added to your UC, you should check that it has been added to your UC.

Then there is Council Tax Relief, that is adminsitered by the council and not the DWP.
    You may already be getting full CTR. (Nothing to pay).
    If you are still paying some Council Tax then contact the council to talk about you/your partner getting PIP and UC.

Being on UC and neither of you working will entitle you to free healthcare, prescriptions, etc.

If you have the Mobility component of PIP then you should automatically qualify for a free bus pass, again talk to your council.

You can put your details into one (or more) of the online benefit checkers to see if you are currently getting the benefits that you should.
    You can do it more than once, so you can do it with your partner not having PIP and then again with her having PIP to see the difference.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-01-20 at 16:04.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.