Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State

Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State

Just seen this advertised on TV starting next

Tuesday 4th February on BBC2 at 9.00 pm

It looks like it will continue on Wednesday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f1xd
    Last edited by TimeLord; 30-01-20 at 19:43.

More about filming that documentary from the PCS unions view:
    https://www.pcs.org.uk/department-fo...iversal-credit

Basically: Staff didn't have to take part in filming, but if they did and said anything critical of the DWP or Universal Credit then they could be disciplined for it.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Full rollout of universal credit, the government's flagship welfare reform, is being delayed again, adding £500m to its overall cost, the BBC has learned.

Officials say not enough people are moving to the benefit as they are "scared" to move to universal credit.

The system was meant to be fully live by April 2017, but the new delay will push it back to September 2024.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51318730

They had a bit of tomorrow's documentary on the news Nuke, it looks like they rehearsed the lines to make it family friendly.

I'm not sure I'll even bother watching it.

We all know these things are scripted, or very selectively edited.

And with the BBC having problems justifying the licence fee they are not going to do anything that might upset the government.

That's very true, I think there's a homeless man comes in that they refuse to see, probably because he has no fixed abode address. Disgraceful really.

Well I might watch it after all, this bit may be interesting:

The film-makers were allowed access to meetings inside the Department for Work and Pensions, and officials are seen pondering what to do when they realise fewer people are reporting changes of circumstances and therefore being transferred to the new benefit, than expected.

Well the only thing I thought was backwards in this new modern system was the post it paper notes wall, so pen and paper is better.

That lady pushing her bum up the window should have been suspended. That wasn't helpful or funny.

I recorded it and have not watched it all yet (fell asleep), but I did notice 2 incorrect/misleading statements in the first 4 minutes.

The jobcentre staff there were not at all typical of my experiences, they must have been hand picked.

Or is it because like the rest of UC everything is wonderful and they're not like the old legacy benefits staff? (They are the same people, they've just been 'migrated' to work on UC now).

Yes that wall was ridiculous, especially if you pause it to read some of what was on there but not centre shot.
    It reads like something you'd see in a primary school.
    If the staff need reminding of some of those basic points then god help them (and us) when it comes to something a bit more complicated.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-02-20 at 16:24.

Untrue. I saw him being interviewed. The staff there did their best and he gets emergency accom - but had to wait 3 days for it, Then he has roof over his head but has to wait for UC for 6 days. No electric, no furniture, no food. He says to camera, I may have to nick it......
    We are just going thru the awfull process ourselves and watched it - it is pretty true to life.