Thread: Universal Credit

Universal Credit

When do you think Ill be migrated to the dreaded Universal Credit, Im in receipt of the SDP that prevents you being migrated at the moment so when will it happen (I dont think anyone can answer that at the mo!)

Ive no plans on moving house or area ever!

Piece of string question I'm afraid.

According to the gov yesterday it will now all be done by 2024.

They've been doing IB to ESA for 10 years now and still haven't done them all, so what do you think ESA to UC will take?

PS. There is a provision to do IB straight to UC, just in case they still haven't got them to ESA by that time.

Unless you are going to move house to a different council, or have a baby, or possibly get married/split up then I wouldn't worry for a few years.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nuke & rest of gang, just read your last comment above, esp last line!

Know moving home to different LA/having child (our age-no chance!)/split up can cause change of circs equal to having to move onto UC...it is the 'get married' part...do I understand you mean 'if you become part of couple/moving in with partner/living together as husband and wife, can cause need to claim UC?

No rush for confirmation from anyone, just wondering! Eitherway, have a great weekend.

Yes the becoming a couple is one of those tricky if/but ones. - It always was with benefits even before UC came along.

It all depends on just what benefits each partner was claiming before they became a couple.

Say one of the partners is already on UC, then the other would be added to the UC claim and any IR benefit they currently get would be stopped.

If just one of them is on CB ESA only then they can't add a partner anymore, that would be a new claim for an IR benefit.
    So if they want to claim benefits as a couple then they would have to make a UC claim as a couple and the CB ESA would be deducted from it.

However if the person with ESA is IR ESA or CB ESA that already has some IR with it (premiums) then the new partner can still be added as a change of circumstances.

If both partners had CB ESA, both with IR premiums, then both CB claims would continue, but only one of them would be entitled to any existing IR premuims which could then also include a couples premium, then the other partners CB ESA would be deducted from the IR component.

Similarly if one had CB ESA only and the other IR ESA then the partner should be added to the IR claimants, then the other partners CB ESA would be deducted from the IR component.

(Both of those last ones would usually tend to wipe out most of any IR component anyway unless SDP is involved for both partners).

I'm sure there are other combinations I haven't listed, but that gives an indication of how it gets tricky.

Basically it's simply that if you have to make any new claim for an IR benefit then it has to be UC and all your other IR benefits will be naturally migrated. Becoming a couple is one of the things that could, but not always, mean making a new IR claim.

There again as with moving house or having a child no one can make you make a new claim for UC if you don't want to, but you can't make a new claim for any IR benefit other than UC.
    And if you didn't claim UC when you could then you'd be losing out.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.