Thread: PIP get a review or let sleeping dogs lie

PIP get a review or let sleeping dogs lie

My PIP has about 18 months to go. I am considering applying for a review now. I have MS and get higher rate mobility & standard daily living. I really want to get some help around here, as my mother does everything, and although she has always preferred it that way, she's getting on now and we really need more help. At my original PIP assessment they simply ignored my explanation about not being able to do the cooking and I got no points for it. I didn't appeal at that time as we didn't need either the aggro or the money. But really, I do need more household help as it's getting too much for mother to do alone, whatever she says. Has anybody had experience with poking the bear? Or can anyone advise me as to what I might expect if I make that terrifying call to the DWP? Will my current PIP be stopped when I apply for a new assessment?

It wont be stopped whilst the review is ongoing, but whatever decision gets made it will supersede your current one, so bear that in mind.

Has your condition worsened since the last assessment and can you get a letter from a doctor to confirm that? If not, it's unlikely a new assessment will find different from the last one.

Thanks for the responses. They have given me food for thought.

Yes and no about whether my conditions have changed. Some things have got worse, as they do with degenerative conditions, but the decision maker did not agree with certain difficulties that in fact existed then and are still the same now. I didn't appeal at the time. However I'm seeing, as I hook out the old PIP paperwork, that the DM's disagreement is because of what the assessor found. But she kind of glossed over that functional test of my hands and they ignored my consultant's note about my hands. Or maybe my consultant's note at that time wasn't actually helpful to my case. So I'm going to first ask my (private) physio if she thinks I am being a wussy about my hands - maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself? - before I decide whether to apply for a review. Then, if it's a current, relevant reality and I do apply again and the DWP skip it again, I will appeal this time. I will word my form carefully and not go telling them things haven't changed if I want them reviewed! I haven't seen my gp for yonks and he wouldn't know anyway, he'd just use his commonsense that is a degenerative disease, therefore it will have worsened.