Thread: Just out of curiosity

Just out of curiosity

Does anyone know how DWP become aware of hospital stays when on DLA or PIP.

This may well affect someone I know but they are saying they won't advise them. Tough luck, they will have to pay the money back if it comes to the 28 days.

Want to know so that I can convince them that DWP will find out.

Dont know myself really could be anything I would presume its through hospital records and your Nat Ins Number, could even be the old git down the street telling them out of spite

According to the B+W site ESA is not affected for 52 weeks but with PIP its 28 days, I suppose its wise to tell them anyway just to be on the safe side and I dont think you get the premiums on ESA just the basic

It is only for DLA and PIP because this person is now on SRP.
    Just really thinking of them ending up with a large repayment.
    They are adamant that DWP won't find out and if I know how they do find out I can possibly persuade them to be honest.

From reading this link https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...#guide-content I would suspect your NI or NHS number is passed on to the DWP automatically.

when I was in for 3 months, I had to notify THEM
    but I was a while doing so as I did not know about it at the time, and also was not in a good place to deal with it all

they were totally fine with me when I rang them - but they did not know until I told them
    they stopped payments as soon as I told them
    but it took months before they finally asked for the rest of the overpayment back
    I had the money that I owed them put by, so I just paid it in one go

I would assume they would find out eventually anyway but not sure how

it is always better to tell THEM first

Still a puzzle but I will try to enforce the position. If they don't take heed then on their head be it. They needn't come moaning to me when the time comes that they are asked for a large repayment.

Beau, you are doing the best you can, with your advice

i feel that its not just about the repayment - it is also the loss of trust too

i mean it often feels like the dwp treat us all with suspicion anyway!!

Just curious but I’ve often wondered what happens in this situation if you have a Motability car i.e. do Motability take the car back after 1 month and if so what happens to your Advanced Payment and do you get the car back if say your in hospital for 6 weeks.

Can’t see Motability hanging onto your car if they don’t know if you will ever be back or out for an unforeseen time.

I have found out that apparently if you have a Mobility contract the mobility component will continue to be paid.
    No mobility contract the mobility component halts.