Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: advice needed

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    advice needed

    Hi all.

    I am after some advice. I am a single dad who gets working and child tax credits who until 4 weeks ago was working full time. I have been suffering with a back problem and have recently had an MRI scan and it looking like i will need an operation but waiting to see a neurosurgeon in march. This has left me unable to work signed off from the doctor. I do not get sick pay from work so only getting ssp is there any other other help i can get claim as this does not cover rent bills etc. I was wondering with rent school meals council tax etc etc. thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    You need to apply to the council for help with council tax and rent payments.

  3. #3
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Are you likely to be off work for a long period? Are your employers going to keep the job open if you are off a long time?

    SSP is only payable for 28 weeks, after which your employer gives you a form (a SSP1) and you then need to claim a benefit to get money coming in.

    If you have paid sufficient NI in the previous 2 years then as you will still be sick you can claim Contributions Based 'New Style' ESA.

    If you have not paid sufficent NI contributions then you will have to claim Universal Credit instead.

    If you want help with your rent then you will have to claim UC anyway. (It can be claimed as well as NS ESA).
    You can no longer claim Housing Benefit from the council, HB has been replaced by UC for new claims.

    The council can still help with Council Tax relief.

    Free school meals are also the council:

    You can also ask the council for a 'Discretionary Housing Payment', which can be a one off help (for arrears, etc) or ongoing for a period of time.
    It isn't a benefit as such, so is discretionary (they don't have to give you one), and is meant to help out with the rent or other housing costs on a temporary basis.

    If/when you claim UC the CTC (and any WTC if you are still technically employed) will be migrated into the UC, so that then all comes as one payment.
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-02-20 at 10:32.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Similar Threads

  1. Advice Needed Early Renal Kidney Failure Going On Dialysis & Benefits Advice
    By melissahicking in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-19, 17:03
  2. Help needed! Push pull hand controls needed in portugal!
    By culinarymatt87 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-14, 10:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts