Thread: How accessible is public transport in London?

How accessible is public transport in London?

Hello,

I am a product design student from London South Bank University doing a project on improving the accessibility of public transport in London and I thought this might be a good place to come to learn about the real lived experiences of people with disabilities.

In light of recent criticisms of the accessibility of London public transport, I would like to start a discussion; what are your personal experiences of using public transport in London? What do you think of the current accessible services and facilities on offer? And where do you think there is room for improvement?

It would also be very helpful if you could fill out this short survey with more specific questions: https://forms.gle/nvWLeR39kvqKYL838

I am very interested in hearing your stories and opinions

According to Boris things should be less London centric now.

So how about a survey for the rest of the country, where the biggest accessibility problem is that public transport has been cut/axed because of lack of government funding.

It's only a few years since we were told that some of the aging northern rail fleet was being replaced - by 20 year old tube trains that had been retired from the London underground as 'not fit for purpose'.

Sorry but Londoners already have at least twice the infrastructure investment per-capita than the rest if the country.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    According to Boris things should be less London centric now.

So how about a survey for the rest of the country, where the biggest accessibility problem is that public transport has been cut/axed because of lack of government funding.

It's only a few years since we were told that some of the aging northern rail fleet was being replaced - by 20 year old tube trains that had been retired from the London underground as 'not fit for purpose'.

Sorry but Londoners already have at least twice the infrastructure investment per-capita than the rest if the country.
    Hi, I do acknowledge that there is an unfair disparity between public transport in London and the rest of the country, as a Londoner I won't pretend to know too much about public transport outside of London but I will definitely look into it!

London feels like a veritable german overseas territory for transport options compared to other large cities in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by quest View Post
    London feels like a veritable german overseas territory for transport options compared to other large cities in the UK.
    That is honestly a huge shame

Just drive into London (as there are no buses back of an evening), park the car & try to get a bus which has a driver who won't lower the ramp, or a wheelchair space guarded by some late teen mum with a baby in a non-foldable buggy.

No chance, I'll just drive into London, it's far quicker & I have a greater chance of returning home alive.