Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

Thanks Archersmate,

Because I filled in the form on the gov website which is the first post of this thread I got a email from Gov saying they will let the supermarkets know I might need help with shopping. Sainsburys let me back in this week so I have now got a delivery of food every week.

Asda has also now contacted me & said Gov said I might need help with getting food delivered & they will make me a priority delivery so get the delivery slots too!. It does say other supermarkets may contact me & to please only choose one of them.

As Sainsburys came to the rescue first & sell my rice milk I will stick with them as Asda does not sell rice milk. So it goes to show how quick Sainsburys were & I'm wondering who else will come forwards.

I have also just got an email from Asda. Will wait to see if I get one from the others. I have been using Iceland but they don't really stock everything that I usually buy.
    Was disappointed with them yesterday, my delivery arrived and they had no wholemeal bread and didn't substitute. Good job I wasn't in desperate need. Also an iceberg lettuce that came for the price of 75p wasn't much bigger than a tennis ball and there was no tomatoes.
    That is why I prefer to physically shop, if something isn't in stock then I can change my mind.

Yes because Iceland does not sell the variation of products that the other main supermarkets sell then if it's not in stock there are either no options or few & at the moment we all need more options because what we want probably won't be in stock.

They have all said that they are limiting the amount of different products in a product line just so they can get food out quicker so it's the worst time hopefully in my life time that you try online food shopping because they more than likely won't have what you want in but will get something.

If you do go with Asda (I've never had a food shop from them before because of the milk problem) or any other one make sure you tick substitutions on all products that you really need because they might not have exactly what you want I don't think Iceland has that option (again have not used them because of the milk)

I got caught out the other week when I did order Cravendale semi skimmed for a relative I forgot to tick subs as I'm used to getting what I order usually it gets picked from a local Tesco Extra & no milk came because they didn't have cravendale but a Tesco extra would have some form of semi skimmed milk lol. So lesson learned now in this new for now world.

I used Sainsburys lately before Covid & getting locked out so will see how well they do this week coming

Sorry back again just looked on Asda as they have set it up now for me & at the moment there are no slots until Monday 13th but Sainsburys Thursday 9th

Luckily I am stocked up for a couple of weeks now or will be when tomorrow's delivery arrives. Daughter has got me some bits but I don't like her taking risks by going out and when she brings it she has to stay well away outside and can't come in.

After a couple of weeks I will see what is on offer. At the moment it will be fresh fruit and veg that are needed next. I hope the supermarkets don't put a minimum order limit on it as I am spending far too much at the moment, having to make the order up with things I will eat and can store.

That's good to hear that your OK for now.

I think the £40 limit on Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons & Ocado is too high for people living on there own. Iceland is better at £35 free or over £25 & pay £2.00 delivery. This does not affect me as I can not have any fruit or salad & the milk I can have is long life so I usually do one every other week but relatives need a delivery every week to get the fresh things.

Supermarkets do not gain anything money wise for delivering food they have said a long time ago that it runs as a loss because of paying someone to pick, someone to pack & some one to drive & then ask for £1.00 delivery it's understandable unless now they are doing so many more it's better money wise for them I don't know

Hoping the limits will have reduced under the circumstances, we never spend anywhere near £35 a week in the supermarket often only half that. That is because we tend to buy in bulk for things like loo rolls, dishwasher tablets, cleaning materials etc when on offer that last us for months on end.

Yes it would of been a good time to lower the limits now especially for those that the Gov has flagged up,

I'm the same buy when things are on offer then store them to use as & when. I've learnt I will always keep a big stock once things of got back to what ever normal we are left with of my milk. Because people were panic buying they were buying fresh cow milk & long life milk so they put 2 or 3 limits on them so I've had to water down my porridge & less in tea & coffee usually about a years end date on them

I will make a fortress of rice milk

Friday was my ESA payment day so I've been out of the house and shopping for the first time in 2 weeks.

As you may know I live in a small town so my experience won't be the same everywhere.

First store, Herons, 4-aisles, about 5,000 sq meters retail space.
    Only 6 customers allowed in the store at a time, one-out-one-in. (Seems a bit restrictive, but..)
    A queue outside at 2 metres apart until member of staff says 'Next customer please, think of others waiting and be as quick as you can manage'.
    (I know the lass and had a word at a distance, she says she's now muttering that phrase in her sleep).
    Most things are available but there is limited stock on the shelves at any one time to discourage hoarding.

Second store CO-OP, 10 aisles (11 aisles?) so about 3x the retail size, no queuing outside, no limit on customer numbers, shelves limited as above but you are aware there is probably stock in the back if you ask (from a distance).
    The co-op staff are blocking the ends of the aisles while they restock when enough has sold from that particular aisle.

So it seems Herons are trying to distance both customers and staff, Co-op are more focused on distancing staff and letting customers do their own thing with 2 metre marks on the floor etc.

Both are sensible precautions just different approaches.

There does not seem to be a shortage of anything you would normally want, but they do seem to be rationing how much they put out at once.
    So it may depend on the pot luck of who has been down that particuar aisle before you, and before the staff have replenished what the person before you has bought.

I noticed there was plenty of bread in both stores, not rationed out there was plenty of bread on the shelves.
    I didn't look at bog roll, I still have six rolls of andrex from before lockdown/shielding which as I'm single will last for about a month each.

I've also noticed that you can't seem to buy a pint of milk, 2-pints or 4-pints are no problem, plenty of those.

Overall it does seem to be the smaller portions/options that are missing.
    I don't think that's profiteering, it's simply more effective to transport the larger sizes.

I've spent about £50 on food which should last me for a month at least.
    And £20 on wine, beer, cake, and chocolate - If I'm going to be stuck at home I want some indulgence.

Only one thing more I have to do is take a 20 mins each way walk to top up my pre-payment gas card.

Just to add I did go back to the co-op today, still no flour on the shelves but when I asked they brought me some from the back and put another two bags on the shelf.

So if you want something that is not on display then ask - from a distance.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nukecad, pleased your shopping trip was a success.

My Iceland delivery that is coming today, still no cheese, wanted 2 packs as hubby eats it until it comes out of his ears, no tomatoes, no booze for hubby but my bread and 2 + 1 bottles of wine are arriving. A large order cut down by almost half.

How I wish I could physically shop.

Next on the agenda is looking for compost, so expensive online and delivery charges very high. Usually get it from a local shop that sells everything but of course it is now closed. May have to get daughter to fetch some but I don't really want to put her at risk by going out of her way.