Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

As I suspected this register is going to be used by other organisations for much more than just the governments volunteer scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52051498
    Supermarkets will also use a government database of 1.5 million vulnerable shoppers in England to help prioritise delivery slots.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Under the circumstances I don't care who has access to it. We need the help, I, for one, am struggling, even my carer is having to keep away because she is going out and about and I daren't risk it as hubby has cancer and diabetes so very high risk. I am also at risk but not as much as hubby but I don't want to go out and bring it home to him.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The point I was trying to get across is that it's not just going to be for help with shopping, phone checks/chats, etc.

I've talked to people who at first said they were not going to register because they were doing alright, could manage, didn't need that.

But it's not going to be just that.

This register is going to be used as the 'go to' list for many other things as the crisis progresses, everyone who is at any kind of higher risk should register NOW.

Don't be put off by the wording 'extremely vulnerable' it should just have said 'vulnerable'.

The webpage itself says "If you’re not sure whether your medical condition makes you extremely vulnerable, register anyway."

Morning all
    I registered at the beginning of the week as I am on the NHS high risk register. CKD- Heart failure- COPD.
    On the Kidney Care UK face book page a member has posted a picture of grocery's they received after Registered on the gov website on Monday and received this care package this morning ??
    Attachment 2295

This registration scheme isn't giving away food. (At least not yet).

When it gets up and running it will be help with shopping and transport, and phone calls to check that you are ok and maybe have a chat.

Groceries must be from something else? Food Bank perhaps?

I suppose it's just possible that it's from a local food bank or store that already has access to the register and is giving stuff away, but the government are not giving away food parcels. (Yet).

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    This registration scheme isn't giving away food. (At least not yet).
    but the government are not giving away food parcels. (Yet).
    There is no way I would expect free food, just help to get food. Help with prescriptions would be to get them collected and delivered as the chemist's delivery service is overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    There is no way I would expect free food, just help to get food. Help with prescriptions would be to get them collected and delivered as the chemist's delivery service is overrun.
    I agree and this is what the scheme is currently offering, simply help if you need it.

However the government have to also keep an eye on what may happen, even if it's very unlikely.
    If all the farmers, food processing workers, delivery drivers, or store staff go sick then there may be little or no food on the shelves to buy.

If that should happen then we'll be back to rationing, and possibly food parcels.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-03-20 at 13:29.

There is a rationing on of sorts as supermarkets are only allowing a certain number of each item.
    Shoppers have brought it on themselves by being greedy and grabbing everything on the shelves.
    Read something about a councillor in Derby seeing bins full of food being thrown away.

Mmm, it seems that the government are indeed already looking to send out food parcels to those on the high risk register.

I'm not sure how I feel about that while I can still get out to shop for myself, presuming that there is food in the shops?
    I understand that they have to plan for the worst, but it seems a bit early yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517
    Mr Jenrick also provided more detail on how the government would shield the most vulnerable people in the country, after more than a million people in the UK were told to stay at home for 12 weeks.

He said that, for those without family support, "The NHS will deliver your medicines through the community pharmacy network.

"If you register online or using the phone service, letting us know that you need support, then we will deliver food and supplies to your doorstep."

On the subject of food parcels for the vulnerable, he added: "The first 50,000 will be sent out by the end of this week. And we are ramping up production to send out as many as are required for as long as it takes."

I wonder what will be in them, not as though I am bothered, food is food, and I would expect to pay for them too. It would be a big help to us although our daughter is trying her best but she works full time, now from home.

I wonder if they will contain beer for hubby? I know that is ridiculous, just trying to inject a bit of humour into this dire situation.