Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New LHA rates.

New LHA rates.

The new revised LHA rates for private renters have now been released.

Your council website may already have been updated (ours has) but if not then you can find them all here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-march-2021

Be careful with that spreadsheet - Table 1 is last years rate - the new rates are in Table 4.

One thing to note is that claimants subject to the benefit cap will not see any extra money because of this increase.
    Although that may change if the caps are also raised?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

ive looked at my LHA rate and my area hasnt changed yet , i guess this might not come in straight away?

It will come in when the rate was due to be revised anyway, 6th April.
    That's only a week off so it's not worth making it any other date.

I've already had my letter about next years HB from the council, wonder if they'll send another even though this change won't affect me?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

haa haa yes thats probally what they will do

my area has shot up, increase of £20 a week, which is about 24%. Actually higher than my current HB. Still way below my rent but is interesting these increases have now overtaken my frozen housing benefit.
    Last edited by worried33; 28-03-20 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    my area has shot up, increase of £20 a week, which is about 24%. Actually higher than my current HB. Still way below my rent but is interesting these increases have now overtaken my frozen housing benefit.
    yes worried , again these increases are being aimed at people making a fresh claim of UC , and not for us "longterm" claiments.

ive just checked my area LHA its only gone up £23pcm , heres the link for anyone who wants to know the local LHA rate https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search...arameters=true

I never actually declared my most recent rent increases to my council, they still think my rent is the same as when I moved in, this was because when I originally rang to tell them, I was told not to bother as they wouldnt pay the increase.
    When I rang earlier in the week I was told HB is not LHA, so my HB stays as it is, but what I am thinking now, is they could just be fobbing me off, I am curious if Nukecad is right in that he think's LHA rates apply to HB, so I 'may' formally tell them of my new rent, which is going to involve a letter as they will need proof, but obviously getting to a post box during isolation is a problem, so its unlikely I will do it.

Druid that increase is still bigger than the UC increase though right.

My area has gone from £68 a week for one bed flat to £95 a week for one bed flat. On a 4 weekly basis. It was stuck at £68 for 6 years in succession.
    The cheapest flat advertised right now thats "not" from a HA, is about £450 a month, and its not even a proper flat.
    Last edited by worried33; 02-04-20 at 16:11.

I don't know how it works for people in private rental as I am in housing association

but as soon as I get a letter with any changes in my rent from the HA - I take the letter into my local council office and they copy it for the housing dept. who then - eventually - adjust my housing benefit accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I don't know how it works for people in private rental as I am in housing association

but as soon as I get a letter with any changes in my rent from the HA - I take the letter into my local council office and they copy it for the housing dept. who then - eventually - adjust my housing benefit accordingly
    Private rental on LHA its the same providing you below the LHA limit (rare though), on HB I have always been told by the council HB rates are frozen at whatever they were set to when LHA was introduced for old claimants, to get it changed one would have to migrate to LHA, but not advisable if the LHA limit was lower than existing HB.