Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New LHA rates.

I think you need to inform councils of "any" changes by law ..
    The single room LHA rate in most areas is around £68 outside London ..the 1bed "self contained" rate (for people over 35) depends on your postcode.

To clarify how LHA works:

LHA (Local Housing Area) rate is the maximum rate (amount) of Housing Benefit or UC Housing Element that will be paid for a private rental agreement.

If your private rent is lower than the LHA for your area you get the rent, if your private rent is higher than LHA you get paid the LHA rate.

If you are in Social Housing (Council Housing) LHA rate does not apply to you- It only applies as a limit to how much Housing Benefit (or UC-HE) can be paid for private rentals.

This shelter webpage tells you more:
    Local housing allowance (LHA) rates are used to work out how much universal credit or housing benefit you get if you rent from a private landlord.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...rivate_renters
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-04-20 at 08:06.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

£68 per week seems incredibly low - I looked up my area and it is just over £170 per week - for a single person - one bedroom property

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    £68 per week seems incredibly low - I looked up my area and it is just over £170 per week - for a single person - one bedroom property
    Yes £68 a week it is incredibly low.

But that's the sharer rate, not the single bedroom rate.
    (Very simplified but a couple can get single bedroom rate, a single person gets sharer rate even if they are not sharing).

Although try these single person rates, even after the coronavirus update-
    Wirral £55.02
    Scunthorpe £56.00

LHA rates have not kept up with the real world of private rental costs, just another 'hidden' benefit cut.

Most of the higher LHA rates are for London and the South East.
    High private rents in London and the SE are directly responsible for the introduction of the Benefits Cap.

Nobody who lives outside those areas gets anywhere near the benefits cap.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    To clarify how LHA works:

LHA (Local Housing Area) rate is the maximum rate (amount) of Housing Benefit or UC Housing Element that will be paid for a private rental agreement.

If your private rent is lower than the LHA for your area you get the rent, if your private rent is higher than LHA you get paid the LHA rate.

If you are in Social Housing (Council Housing) LHA rate does not apply to you- It only applies as a limit to how much Housing Benefit (or UC-HE) can be paid for private rentals.

This shelter webpage tells you more:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...rivate_renters
    That seems solid enough, but I cannot go in and see them or send them a letter, so its trying to convince them on email/phone.

I do have an archived version of the shelter page on LHA, and the old version from 3 years ago, before UC was a thing, never mentioned that LHA rates are used for HB, it seems this is something they added to the page after UC was launched. If LHA rates were "always" used for HB even before UC, then this would explain why I didnt know this as the shelter site didnt used to say that. Every benefit advice site I visited, simply didnt mention HB as if it didnt exist anymore unless for council tenants.

Also my council might get funny if they wonder why I am informing them "late" of a rent increase so I might just wait for the "likely" increase in june and inform them of that. Although I did in the past inform them over the phone, that has no audit record.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Yes £68 a week it is incredibly low.

But that's the sharer rate, not the single bedroom rate.
    (Very simplified but a couple can get single bedroom rate, a single person gets sharer rate even if they are not sharing).

Although try these single person rates, even after the coronavirus update-
    Wirral £55.02
    Scunthorpe £56.00

LHA rates have not kept up with the real world of private rental costs, just another 'hidden' benefit cut.

Most of the higher LHA rates are for London and the South East.
    High private rents in London and the SE are directly responsible for the introduction of the Benefits Cap.

Nobody who lives outside those areas gets anywhere near the benefits cap.
    My area is one of the lowest income areas in the country, so that likely affects the rates and rents for the area, but the gap between LHA and advertised rents just kept growing and growing. Basically one bed rate enough to pay for shared room, 2 bed rate enough to pay for one bed flat etc.
    Last edited by worried33; 03-04-20 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Welcome to the postcode lottery lol.

Although I expect your actual rents are a lot higher also to have those LHA rates, the question though is were the rates in your area actually enough to cover rent for private rental? Not HA properties.

Current one bed property rates for my area are now more reasonable but still nowhere near your £170 a week.

private rent in my area - starts at around £170/week but there are very few at that rate
    most £190/week ish and up

Yes Nuke, I live in the SE but fortunately not in London

trying to find information on how long this LHA rate increase is due to last for but can't find the relevant information. Has it been announced or is it just going to be reviewed after however many weeks/months?

Quote Originally Posted by grrrrrowl View Post
    trying to find information on how long this LHA rate increase is due to last for but can't find the relevant information. Has it been announced or is it just going to be reviewed after however many weeks/months?
    It's in the The Social Security (Coronavirus) (Further Measures) Regulations 2020 so is now set in law.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/371/made

It's regulation 4.
    Be careful of the figures given there - Those are the maximum that LHA can be for each catagory, most councils will be much lower.

There is no stated end date - so the new rates are in force for 12 months until April 2021, ie. when the 2021 rates will come into force.

What will happen with those 2021 rates is anyones guess. (They could even go down again if the crisis is over).

Regulation 10 sets out when the other measures there will expire, (8 months for most), but that date has to be kept under review.
    Expiry

10.—(1) The Secretary of State must keep the operation of these Regulations under review.

(2) Regulations 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9 cease to have effect at the end of the period of eight months beginning on 13th March 2020.

(3) Regulation 3 (treating a person as having limited capability for work) and regulation 4 (suspension of the minimum income floor) of the Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit (Coronavirus Disease) Regulations 2020(27) no longer have effect in so far as they apply to universal credit.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-04-20 at 10:09.