Thread: Omg!

Omg!

OMG! It wasn’t my intention to inflict The Lurgy on youreable last week, my point was more connected with the forums ever diminishing use.

I personally will not be repeating gossip, Theories or speculation, it won’t help, with the exception of loo rolls, 98% of loo rolls used in the UK are made in the UK. So if you know someone who cleared the shelves they must have listened to a lying gossip.

A very big thank you to Nuke as always for suggesting a UC cupboard, as I am turning to some of the contents to help throughout the forthcoming weeks using it to supplement the supermarket. We have a stock of tins and packets that I’ve bought over time. This is also giving me the opportunity to stock rotate the contents as I don’t know how old they are and worry that I may end up wasting things that are significantly out of date further down the line, I don’t like feeding the bin!

stay well all.

Don't throw away food just because it's gone past date, especially tinned, jarred, or dried food.

It's still fine to eat, the date is just on there to encourage more sales.

"Use By" on fresh meat/fish/etc. should be observed, with a bit of common sense.

Food isn't edible before a date and suddenly poisonous when it reaches that date.

'Best Before', 'Sell By', and 'Display Until' are simply a means of getting stuff thrown away unnecessarily - so the manufacturer can sell some more.

Tinned food especially is still good many years after the date on the tin (as long as the tin is intact and isn't bulging).

Sealed jars the same, once opened use your common sense if you don't use all the contents at once.

Old, packet soups/sauces/rice/pasta/etc. may not taste quite the same as new, but they are not going to poison you.

Use your common sense rather than some artificially imposed date, if it smells/tastes bad to you then don't use it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...sell-date.html

About the only food I throw away is stale bread and vegetable peelings, and they usually go out for the wildlife.

PS. It annoys me to know that a lot of stuff that has been panic bought in the last couple of weeks is going to end up straight in the bin. (Even though it will still be perfectly safe to eat).
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-03-20 at 15:58.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I’ve got dried food that went out of date when methuselah was a boy, and a good sense of smell. The only thing that bothers me is when the contents of a tin smells of tin, it makes me gag. Smiler did try baking a loaf the other day with a bread mix from about 8 years ago but it didn’t rise you could’ve hammered nails in with it, used it as a weapon, or added it to a brick wall!

Use by and best before annoy me I’ve always ignored em” like you say they just want more money off you.

I’m hoping that some of the tins and packets bought in the last few weeks filter down to the food banks in a few months when people realise that some stuff that they bought isn’t stuff they’d ever eat.

Stay well.

Old bread mix, I've got half of one that's about a year old in a jar.
    If it gets too old then the yeast will have died so it won't rise. Yeast lives a long time dried, but still pegs out after a long while (about a year).

Tip - if you add some Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) and self raising flour (or something acidic) to the old bread mix you can get it to rise.
    Baking Powder works as well and already contains baking soda and an acid (cream of tartare)
    Because the baking soda works by chemical reaction (rather than a living process like yeast) then you shouldn't prove the dough - just mix it, knead it, and get it in the oven.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-lo...od-for-1388307
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.