Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-19 Recovery & Immunity?

C-19 Recovery & Immunity?

Hi & hope everybody looking after themselves.

A question has arisen but cannot find definitive answer, so looking for somebody with more medical knowledge-doesn't have to specific to Covid 19, but viruses, as far as I understand!)

IF, as some are thinking and adamant, someone who has been victim/patient/suffered the affects & thinking they have had covid-19 & recovered, then they are considered immune (from what I have read), OK, fine. If, I have got this wrong, am sure will be corrected.

But, what about those, in same situation, but required antibiotics to get over chest/bronchial infection, as a result of covid 19 and have then recovered? Are they still considered immune? (at least against that particular strain of covid-19 as also understand that different strains can result in milder forms giving the idea that some are immune against the more virulent forms/strains).

Whenever I try and get any answer from any search engine, am directed and links listed purely to 'antibiotics don't work on viruses' or similar...Yes, now know this & that antibiotics only effective against bacteria.

Any views/answers are welcomed.

This question was on the news and the chances of getting it again straight after are slim but also if you get it and have a flu and pneumonia injection this will help protect you better.

Apparently a viral infection can lower the body's immunity and allow a bacterial infection to creep in.
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7ax0k3yFGvH8b-

After reading that it is my understanding that the person would be immune to Covid-19

Yahoo I haven't used that in years strange as it used to be massive. Any infections lower the bodies immune system but also builds antibodies against infection. Keep the vitamins high use paracetamol, vitamin C, eat garlic cloves with salt this helps reduce your chances of infection from colds and chest infections.

As I understand it C-19 is a virus, just like flu is a virus.

So while you can have a flu jab each year the flu virus may have evolved in that year and the jab won't protect you from all the newly evolved strains of flu.

It's a worry, but that's life.

At the moment we are isolating/shielding ourselves, but that has to end sometime and we will catch it.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I believe the flu vaccination has 4 or 5 strands in it but as I'm aware the one for kids is different a nasal spray they use now for them. The pneumonia vaccination is the same prevention measure, if you did get covid 19 it would help prevent secondary pneumonia infection.

Hi Guys, and TY for replies and interest.

Just an update with final answer regarding query. The answer is Yes :-) So, people who contract C-19 and recover on their own, as we know are 'immune'. This also goes (as per my thinking in post 1) that those who contract C-19 and recover, with medical intervention, are also considered 'immune'. (I completely forgot about using 'yahoo amswers' which has actually helped me out quite a deal in the past-I still use yahoo classic email!). TY beau and timelord.

Hey Nuke, hope your handling this & coping. Aye, absolutely re C-19 and flu and strains. Due to my previous (not talking convictions!) am on GP's list for flu vaccination every year as is wifey, due to carer role. However, in addition, I also has pneumonia vaccination & take it this is due to stem cell translant now just ove 18 months back-so shouldn't need this for a couple of years & these may help!

Little sceptical, or maybe glad I did have last lot of vaccinations which 'may' have lessened the effects, as twice at back end of last year, end of September & then again, Saturday inbetween Xmas and New Year just gone, I really, really suffered (and have no doubt it was C-19). Never had chest/bronchial infections before but September, my wife had cold & I suffered chest infection where I was, literally, fighting for breath and would give a % working of lungs at 30%. Spend 3 days on sofa, not moving-just attempting move fom sofa to kitchen, less than 5 metres, made me breathless to the fright that I was scared for my life & had 999 on screen on phone! managed to get GP's appt who prescribed Amoxycillin as left lower lung infected. Meds cleared this & felt 'better' in 3 days. GP 'told' my wife and I, any sign of it getting worse, call 999 immediately, he couldn't stress this enough! 2nd time, I was aware what was happening and made GP appt again 3 days in but earlier before infection took proper hold-however, problem with this was that Amoxycillin didn't touch it & therefore lost those few days, Then prescribed Doxycycline...cleared it maybe 1-2 days quicker-bloody shame wasn't prescribed this 1st due to losing those 3-4 days waiting for Amoxy to kick in. My wife and I could have caught this from our grandson who as with all toddlers at nursery are open to all sorts!

1 thing is for sure, we're in no doubt whatsoever, that I did suffer C-19 infection. It was & hopefully, only time I was really and truly scared for my life, even moreso that being told to 'prepare for the worst' at 3rd cancer diagnosis - Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma ALKnegative - but after different chemo's, then treated with Brentuximab Vedotin @£10k a shot! After all clear, then concreted with SCT (on this & hopefully 1 occasion was auto sct-using own cells-but this was purely by chance as not expected to provide enough so donor was searched & had to go via EU register as no match from UK list-luckily full match was located & I will bear this person in mind, if needed!).

Anyway, that is my experience & am damn sure this C-19 hit these shores way before 'govt' is letting on. But that is point for separate argument!

TY agan, and keep well and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    Hi & hope everybody looking after themselves.

A question has arisen but cannot find definitive answer, so looking for somebody with more medical knowledge-doesn't have to specific to Covid 19, but viruses, as far as I understand!)

IF, as some are thinking and adamant, someone who has been victim/patient/suffered the affects & thinking they have had covid-19 & recovered, then they are considered immune (from what I have read), OK, fine. If, I have got this wrong, am sure will be corrected.

But, what about those, in same situation, but required antibiotics to get over chest/bronchial infection, as a result of covid 19 and have then recovered? Are they still considered immune? (at least against that particular strain of covid-19 as also understand that different strains can result in milder forms giving the idea that some are immune against the more virulent forms/strains).

Whenever I try and get any answer from any search engine, am directed and links listed purely to 'antibiotics don't work on viruses' or similar...Yes, now know this & that antibiotics only effective against bacteria.

Any views/answers are welcomed.
    Antibiotics cannot cure covid, so because of that it wouldnt affect any immunity, the benefits of antibiotics when you have a viral infection, is to help with secondary infections.

I expect the cases of quick reinfection are people who actually were not recovered, as lots of assumptions get such as when symptoms stop you recovered, bear in mind, thats only an assumption, one would need to be tested to be sure they are recovered.

As an example I have had symptoms now for 3 weeks, for me one the first day I had extremely high temperature fo rabout an hour, it was very weird, as I have never had anything like it, nausea and light headedness, second day was scary, almost blacked out. But then the symptoms became much light aside from the nausea. Fast forward 3 weeks, the lightheadedness is gone, taste sensation back, however I still keep getting nausea on and off, and although the temperature disappeared after 2 days, its now back, albeit a mild one, but is there, and also I have developed a cough.

But because of a lack of testing, I have no idea if I actually have covid 19, they really need to get test kits out to people. I suspect it is as I have never had nausea lasting 3 weeks before, plus never had the combo of a temperature, and cough at same time before either, but I cannot say 100% without a test.
    Last edited by worried33; 08-04-20 at 08:08.

Did you contact anyone your GP or the NHS 111 helpline ?