Thread: Severe disability premium help!

Severe disability premium help!

Hi,
    I wonder if someone can help me regarding this?
    I will explain the situation as limited as possible;
    I am still currently on DLA. High rate of both but I use my mobility allowance for a motability vehicle.
    when I was awarded my DLA my husband became entitled to Carers allowance so that meant that they reduced a portion of my ESA entitlement so he could get the Carers allowance.
    However, after recent findings it seems that if my husband was not claiming Carers allowance I would be entitled to the ‘Severe disability premium’
    If this is the case then it is possible that our total income would be more than what it is currently including hubby’s Carers allowance?
    Essentially, what I mean is that it would work out that if we dropped his Carers allowance I would be entitled to the severe disability premium and it would actually mean would would be better off without him claiming Carers allowance.
    Is this correct?
    Or am I totally wrong here?
    It does state that you cannot claim SDP if you have a partner that claims Carers allowance!
    My husband and I share a joint account so all the benefit we received go into that and we use it together, nothing is separated.

Please do not judge or think I am being greedy, I was a nurse for many years and my husband an electrician Who has used the years he has been caring for me to gain a qualification in meteorology which he uses to provide a free service for our island.
    We were hoping that if he gained his degree it could lead to coming off benefits, but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.
    I would just like to make sure that I am getting the correct benefits as it’s so confusing now, so any advice would be appreciated
    ?Emmie
    Last edited by Emmie; 07-04-20 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post

Hi,
    I wonder if someone can help me regarding this?
    I will explain the situation as limited as possible;
    I am still currently on DLA. High rate of both but I use my mobility allowance for a motability vehicle.
    when I was awarded my DLA my husband became entitled to Carers allowance so that meant that they reduced a portion of my ESA entitlement so he could get the Carers allowance.
    However, after recent findings it seems that if my husband was not claiming Carers allowance I would be entitled to the ‘Severe disability premium’
    If this is the case then it is possible that our total income would be more than what it is currently including hubby’s Carers allowance?
    Essentially, what I mean is that it would work out that if we dropped his Carers allowance I would be entitled to the severe disability premium and it would actually mean would would be better off without him claiming Carers allowance.
    Is this correct?
    Or am I totally wrong here?
    It does state that you cannot claim SDP if you have a partner that claims Carers allowance!
    My husband and I share a joint account so all the benefit we received go into that and we use it together, nothing is separated.

Please do not judge or think I am being greedy, I was a nurse for many years and my husband an electrician Who has used the years he has been caring for me to gain a qualification in meteorology which he uses to provide a free service for our island.
    We were hoping that if he gained his degree it could lead to coming off benefits, but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.
    I would just like to make sure that I am getting the correct benefits as it’s so confusing now, so any advice would be appreciated
    ?Emmie
    If you live with your husband, you are only entitled to it if they also get a qualifying benefit (e.g. PIP) or are registered blind.

As quest says, unless your partner also qualifies for DLA/PIP or is registered blind then you would not be entitled to the SDP and so his claiming CA is almost certainly the correct course to maximise your benefits.

Do you already get the EDP (Disability Income Gaurentee) and the Carer premium with your ESA?
    You may not do if your ESA is Contributions Based only.

If you want to check it for yourself then use one of the online benefit calculators:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You can go through twice, once with your partner claiming CA, and once with no CA, so you can see what the difference is.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-04-20 at 13:13.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As quest says, unless your partner also qualifies for DLA/PIP or is registered blind then you would not be entitled to the SDP and so his claiming CA is almost certainly the correct course to maximise your benefits.

Do you already get the EDP (Disability Income Gaurentee) and the Carer premium with your ESA?
    You may not do if your ESA is Contributions Based only.

If you want to check it for yourself then use one of the online benefit calculators:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You can go through twice, once with your partner claiming CA, and once with no CA, so you can see what the difference is.
    Hi there, thank you for that information.
    To be fair he should be claiming for himself but he won’t do it because he says there are people worse off than him.
    I think it’s his pride that’s stopping him and the hoops you jump through to get pip.

I appreciate the help from both replies so thank you.