Thread: Renewing PIP form no change but last time had to appeal to tribunal

Renewing PIP form no change but last time had to appeal to tribunal

Hi I’ve just been sent a form to renew my PIP I have no changes to report since last time I applied. But the last time I had to go to tribunal to get the full award I was entitled to.

The form says if I’ve had a change since DEC 2016 which is when I last applied.. but the tribunal judgment overturning their original decision was in May 2017

Should I still put no change? And should I maybe send a copy of the tribunal judgment last time overturning the DWP original decision ?

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Markstar; 09-04-20 at 13:42. Reason: Clarity

Some may be surprised that you have been sent one if you haven't reported a change of circumstances.

But it is only face-to-face assessments that have been stopped, and they can still do them on paper or by phone/video.

You may have already have been referred for reassessment before the emergency measures started, there will be a number of people still in that situation.
    So if they think it's not going to be too complicated they can carry on to get those done on paper or by phone.
    (If they think it needs more attention then they'll probably just defer it and keep paying your PIP until they can do a F2F).

Tthe December 2016 date is correct, as that is when the last decision applies from.

It can seem odd if you are not used to it, but when a tribunal changes a decision the change applies from the date of the original decision - when the tribunal actually sits doesn't matter.
    A tribunal doesn't make a new decision, it changes the decision that you are appealing.

If there has been no change to your abilities then just say so in each section on the AR1 form.

It wouldn't hurt to send a copy of the tribunals decision, the DWP don't have to take any notice of it (it is after all about a 3+ year old decision) - but it's a gentle reminder that you mean 'no change' from what the tribunal decided.

This is my personal opinion - I think that if you say 'no change', and there is nothing to contradict that, then at the moment they will probably just 'rubber stamp' it as the same award again. (Simply to get it out of the way, there will be a big enough backlog to get through when this is all over).
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-04-20 at 14:42.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you , I should’ve made it clear I was sent the review form
    Around 3 and half weeks ago,and I’ve been putting off filling it out. but I need to send it today to make sure they get it on time.

There is a blanket extension to sending back the PIP2 forms, new claims now have 90 days from when it was issued.

However if your form has a 'No Change' option then it's an AR1 review form and not a new claim.

So what I said above only applies to new claims and changes of circumstances, there is a different new rule for 'regular' reassessments.

(There is so much new guidance out there that it's getting dificult to find things again, but I knew I'd seen this somewhere).

These are from updated guidance for PIP assessment telephone operators, it was issued a week or so ago:

New - Award Review – I am currently claiming PIP and have returned the Award Review form – what do I do?
    You do not need to do anything. We will extend your current award. We will contact you at a later date to review your PIP claim
    further down:
    Existing - PIP claimant has received AR1 form but is unable to return it as they cannot get assistance to complete it or leave their property to post it back to us.
    You don’t need to do anything. We will extend your current award. We will contact you at a later date to re assess your PIP claim.
    So unless they have already made an appointment then (even if you have already sent back the form) they are simply automatically extending PIP awards. (six months at a time until the crisis is over).

They are supposed to be calling and/or sending out letters about this to anyone affected

I can't give a link to that telephony guidance because its DWP/Assessor internal guidance and so isn't published. (Which is why I had trouble finding it again).
    The nearest I can find published published is this, which says the same but not as clearly: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ents-suspended

If you want to double check that ring the Assessors helpline, the number should be on the letter that came with your form, and they should tell you just what it says in that second quote above about not having to return the form.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-04-20 at 23:22.

Thank you so much for your help , the form I filled out didn’t actually have tick boxes to tick for no change but just stated to write in the question boxes IF there had been changes .As there were no changes for me i simply wrote “no change since last assessment and subsequent tribunal” in all of the questions I hope this was the right thing to do.

As I’ve sent it off now special delivery as I wasn’t aware they were giving extra time I needed to make sure it got there before Wednesday..

Oh well it’s done now all I can do is wait I guess.

My Pip runs out in September anyway, they seemed to have sent me the renewal form 6 months early.
    Last edited by Markstar; 10-04-20 at 00:15. Reason: Extra info

They always send the forms out early so that there is (should be) time to make a new award before the old one runs out.

As you have sent it off then no doubt they will be calling you or sending you a letter about what will happen next.

Which should be what it says in the first quote above -
    New - Award Review – I am currently claiming PIP and have returned the Award Review form – what do I do?
    You do not need to do anything. We will extend your current award. We will contact you at a later date to review your PIP claim

Hi - these are very confusing and unsettling times. My ESA and PIP are not due to be looked at again for a while. As there will probably be a backlog, does that mean future reviews are likely yo be pushed back ?
    Thanks. Keep safe

Quote Originally Posted by Mrspumblechook View Post
    . As there will probably be a backlog, does that mean future reviews are likely yo be pushed back ?
    Possibly depending on how long reassessments are 'on hold' for is the best answer.

Recalling the last time that they put reassessments on hold (between 2014 and 2016) then once the hold had ended they started catching up again on the deferred reassessments at the same time as doing any reassessments that fell due 'naturally'. after the hold had ended.

So anyone who was due an ESA reassessment during those 2 years was simply given an extension, but if you had been given a 3 year award just before the hold started then you would be reassessed after 3 years as usual because the hold had finished by then.

For PIP they are currently extending end dates that fall due by six months at a time until they can start taking renewal claims again. (They had to pass a new law to let them do that).
    I'm not sure just how they are doing it with ESA/UC WCA referrals, those are different as they don't have a set end date and so simply continue anyway until reassessed.
    (They don't really have to do anything with ESA/UC reassessments other than just start them again when they are ready to).

Thanks Nukecad - that makes things clearer.