Thread: Universal credidt 3rd adult

Universal credidt 3rd adult

Hi we got our son who is an adult and a non-dependent living with us, he normally works, but can not at the moment, universal credit knows about him and his wages, we are on universal credit for disability, my question is, will it affect our universal credit, will it be reduced and will he be forced to make a contribution to us out of his claim, if he claims because he lost his job due to coronavirus? We are also in receipt of PIP and have bedroom exemption because of this.

You need to report changes of circumstances, has there been any change of circumstance here?

If so then what has changed?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You need to report changes of circumstances, has there been any change of circumstance here?

If so then what has changed?
    He is not on our claim so no need to report anything, he is just going to make a new one.

If he has already been living with you then he must already be classed as a dependant or non-dependant for the purpose of your UC claim.
    And it sound from what they say that he is already classed as a non-dependant adult living with you.

If he is already classed as a non-dependent then he will be expected to be contributing to the rent already, whether he actually is or not.
    And your UC Housing Element will already be reduced accordingly by a non-dependant deduction.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Jargon-buster/Non-Dependant

Do you see a non-dependant deduction on your UC payment breakdown?

So if/when he makes his own claim he will also get a UC Housing Element for the amount that he is already expected to be contributing. (The amount of your non-dependant deduction).

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If he has already been living with you then he must already be classed as a dependant or non-dependant for the purpose of your UC claim.
    And it sound from what they say that he is already classed as a non-dependant adult living with you.

If he is already classed as a non-dependent then he will be expected to be contributing to the rent already, whether he actually is or not.
    And your UC Housing Element will already be reduced accordingly by a non-dependant deduction.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Jargon-buster/Non-Dependant

Do you see a non-dependant deduction on your UC payment breakdown?

So if/when he makes his own claim he will also get a UC Housing Element for the amount that he is already expected to be contributing. (The amount of your non-dependant deduction).
    Because of pip we are exempt from that deduction i was just wanted to know if they would reduce our uc and say he should contribute towards bills, not worried about the rent part, as you say if they deduct they would have to pay him, but we are exempt cause of pip

Ah, I understand the situation better now.

You would still have NDD exemption because of your PIP, so nothing has changed there.

As a non-dependant then in the eyes of the DWP he should already contribute towards the rent.
    So normally you would already have a ND-deduction, - but your PIP exempts you from that deduction.

So your UC should not change if he claims UC for himself.

Now we get a bit of DWP dual standards in how non-dependants are treated for rent purposes.

Whether your son will get a Housing Element in his UC is another question, and may depend on whether he is named on the tenancy agreement or not, or can show some other (legal) 'liability' to pay a share of the rent.

If he is not on the tenancy agreement then they can say that he is not 'liable' for a share of the rent, in which case he is not eligible for any Housing Element in his UC.

You see the dual standard - They expect a non dependant to 'contribute' to the rent in all cases, but will only pay the non-dependant UC-HE if they are (legally) 'liable' to pay some of the rent.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-04-20 at 20:15.

Thanks, please stay safe