Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Style JSA

New Style JSA

Can I just make sure am understanding correctly. Thanks for letting m e join; I was approved for New Style JSA I know each fortnight but want to be sure am right I received the two week pay on 2 April but should have been earlier as I was meant to sign on 27 March but given the virus not able to a box was not ticked and hence receiving first payment 02 04 2020

Have I got this right

15 April 2 weeks payment
    29 April 2 weeks payment
    13 May 2 weeks payment
    27 May 2 weeks payment
    10 June 2 weeks payment
    24 June 2 weeks payment
    8 July 2 weeks payment
    22 July 2 weeks payment
    5 Aug 2 weeks payment
    19 Aug 2 weeks payment
    2 Sept 1 or 2 weeks payment?
    Says they will not be able to give me from 11 Sept so just another week? Have I worked this out properly; sorry for long post

I am severely deaf and recently awarded Pip. I know I am not entittled to SDP but would given my disability still be able to do JSA Income for normal Disability Premium or would I just have to go to UC or apply for New Style ESA to continue based on my disability.

Thanks again and am sorry for long post.

That looks about right, depending on the date you claimed.
    NS JSA is paid for 6 months (26 weeks) only, after which if you are still unemployed then you have to claim UC.

You can no longer make a new claim for IR JSA (or any IR benefit) unless you already have the SDP included with a benefit (a catch 22 in some cases).

Note that if you already claim Housing Benefit, which is income related, then you can get the SDP added to that.
    (Which would then prevent you from claiming UC, so you could then claim IR benefits).
    So are you already claiming Housing Benefit?

I note that you say above that you 'not entitled to' SDP, - are you living with someone, or is someone claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you?
    What was your PIP award, was it Daily Living or Mobility (or both)?

As you kind of mention, I'm not sure that you have claimed the correct benefit for your circumstances.

Does you hearing loss affect/limit your ability to work?
    (Obviously you have been working to have been able to claim a New Style benefit).

If your hearing does affect your ability to work, as may be indicated by your PIP award, then you may have been better claiming NS ESA.
    https://www.actiononhearingloss.org....ort-allowance/

The immediate difference being that NS ESA lasts for (at least) 12 months, rather than just 6 with NS JSA.
    If you are awarded the 'Support Group' then there is no 12 month limit and NS ESA can continue for as long as you are in the Support Group.
    You will also get more money if awarded the Support Group.

Everything is awkward at the moment with isolation, but I would 'talk' to the Jobcenter about getting your NS JSA changed to NS ESA instead, because of your Limited Capability for Work.
    That may mean closing your NS JSA claim and making a new claim for NS ESA instead, it's all awkward at the moment so see what the jobcentre says.
    As your NS JSA is already in payment you have six months to sort things out if you do want to change over.

Claiming ESA usually means providing Fit Notes until they can assess you, (but that requirement is suspended due to coronavirus).

If you are not entitled to the SDP then you might also want to look at claiming UC as well as NS JSA/NS ESA, it's quite possible to claim both at the same time, and many do.
    The NS benefit gets decucted from the UC payments, but it should still leave you better off in most cases.
    (The recent coronavirus increase in UC rates, (an extra £20 a week for the next 12 months), may make that even more worth considering).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That looks about right, depending on the date you claimed.
    NS JSA is paid for 6 months (26 weeks) only, after which if you are still unemployed then you have to claim UC.

You can no longer make a new claim for IR JSA (or any IR benefit) unless you already have the SDP included with a benefit (a catch 22 in some cases).

Note that if you already claim Housing Benefit, which is income related, then you can get the SDP added to that.
    (Which would then prevent you from claiming UC, so you could then claim IR benefits).
    So are you already claiming Housing Benefit?

I note that you say above that you 'not entitled to' SDP, - are you living with someone, or is someone claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you?
    What was your PIP award, was it Daily Living or Mobility (or both)?

As you kind of mention, I'm not sure that you have claimed the correct benefit for your circumstances.

Does you hearing loss affect/limit your ability to work?
    (Obviously you have been working to have been able to claim a New Style benefit).

If your hearing does affect your ability to work, as may be indicated by your PIP award, then you may have been better claiming NS ESA.
    https://www.actiononhearingloss.org....ort-allowance/

The immediate difference being that NS ESA lasts for (at least) 12 months, rather than just 6 with NS JSA.
    If you are awarded the 'Support Group' then there is no 12 month limit and NS ESA can continue for as long as you are in the Support Group.
    You will also get more money if awarded the Support Group.

Everything is awkward at the moment with isolation, but I would 'talk' to the Jobcenter about getting your NS JSA changed to NS ESA instead, because of your Limited Capability for Work.
    That may mean closing your NS JSA claim and making a new claim for NS ESA instead, it's all awkward at the moment so see what the jobcentre says.
    As your NS JSA is already in payment you have six months to sort things out if you do want to change over.

Claiming ESA usually means providing Fit Notes until they can assess you, (but that requirement is suspended due to coronavirus).

If you are not entitled to the SDP then you might also want to look at claiming UC as well as NS JSA/NS ESA, it's quite possible to claim both at the same time, and many do.
    The NS benefit gets decucted from the UC payments, but it should still leave you better off in most cases.
    (The recent coronavirus increase in UC rates, (an extra £20 a week for the next 12 months), may make that even more worth considering).
    Thanks for your reply. This all began 6 March I had interview 9 March and began on 27 March would have signed on in normal circumstances. I am not sure if the September is 1 or 2 payments. They forgot to say saw me on 27 March hence payment in 2 April - I live with parents my savings were just over £16 I am not able to get UC and with this all going on I do not want to use all Pip helping parents need some aside for the hearing aids.

I got 8 points for Communication Support in Daily Living and 12 for Mobility Enhanced ongoing it is quiet sounds I am struggling to hear such as my father whisper to me. Would that be enough to justify ESA?

Thanks again for your time and keep safe.

Personally I think I'd ask the jobcentre about claiming NS ESA anyway, especially as you can't claim UC because of your savings so you wont be getting anything but PIP after 6 months of NS JSA.

If you are going to calim ESA the I can see an argument either way, now or later, so I can only say what I would do.

If you do make a claim for ESA and they refuse then you are no worse off than you are now, you will just need to reclaim NS JSA for what is left of the 6 months entitlement.

If they award you ESA then it will be paid for at least 12 months, and ongoing if you get Support Group.

If they take longer than 6 months to make an ESA decision (anything is possible currently) then you are going to be winning whatever they decide as ESA will be paid until either the decision is made or your 12 months are up.

(Hint, there is a crafty way you may be able to ensure that the assessment is not done until after the 6 months are up, I'm sure you can spot it. Of course that's only of use if you expect not to be awarded ESA).

Remember when I say 6 months or 12 months that's from when you first claimed back in March.

Up to you if you can be bothered with the hassle, and it will be hassle whenever you do it.
    Which you decide to do is also flavoured by what you expect to be awarded at ESA.
    If you expect Support Group then the sooner you apply the better.
    If you expect WRAG then it doesn't realy make a difference when.
    If you expect no ESA award the the later you apply the better.

But my thinking is that with your ongoing PIP award it's likely that you will be awarded ESA, so it's probably better to try for ESA now rather than waiting until the JSA stops.
    (It will probably look better too if you say now that you think you claimed the wrong benefit, rather than waiting until JSA runs out).
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-04-20 at 19:34.

Personally I think I'd ask the jobcentre about claiming NS ESA anyway, especially as you can't claim UC because of your savings so you wont be getting anything but PIP after 6 months of NS JSA.

If you are going to calim ESA the I can see an argument either way, now or later, so I can only say what I would do.

If you do make a claim for ESA and they refuse then you are no worse off than you are now, you will just need to reclaim NS JSA for what is left of the 6 months entitlement.

If they award you ESA then it will be paid for at least 12 months, and ongoing if you get Support Group.

If they take longer than 6 months to make an ESA decision (anything is possible currently) then you are going to be winning whatever they decide as ESA will be paid until either the decision is made or your 12 months are up.

(Hint, there is a crafty way you may be able to ensure that the assessment is not done until after the 6 months are up, I'm sure you can spot it. Of course that's only of use if you expect not to be awarded ESA).

Remember when I say 6 months or 12 months that's from when you first claimed back in March.

Up to you if you can be bothered with the hassle, and it will be hassle whenever you do it.
    Which you decide to do is also flavoured by what you expect to be awarded at ESA.
    If you expect Support Group then the sooner you apply the better.
    If you expect WRAG then it doesn't realy make a difference when.
    If you expect no ESA award the the later you apply the better.

But my thinking is that with your ongoing PIP award it's likely that you will be awarded ESA, so it's probably better to try for ESA now rather than waiting until the JSA stops.
    (It will probably look better too if you say now that you think you claimed the wrong benefit, rather than waiting until JSA runs out).
    Thank you for that I appreciate it so in normal circumstances would it be from 6 March or date of interview on 9th; so I would get 2 payments in September - £74 or £148 please can you let me know; then and no more hence end 11 Sept? I will let you know outcome if let me just switch.
    Last edited by ahearne; 15-04-20 at 20:03.

Looks like a no but may be able to do contribution ESA

Do you think enough NI to justify?

2018-2019 says full year
    National Insurance credits: 27 weeks

2017-2018 says full year
    National Insurance credits: 44 weeks

Also living with parents but they do not get any benefits; now on Pip should I get SDP or the normal £34 rate of Disability Premium

I think worked out £148 for just September not a full month given as you say 26 weeks but they say cannot do from 11 September am I right here? Sorry

Thanks

If you have enough NI to quailify for NS JSA then you have enough NI to qualify for NS ESA, no ifs or buts.

'New Style' benefits are Contribution Based.

Forget all about the disability premiums.
    You do not qualify for any disability premium - Premiums are only paid with Income Related benefits which you cannot qualify for because of your savings.
    Even if you did not have the savings you cannot make a new claim for any IR benefit, you have to claim UC instead and UC does not pay the premiums.

In your circumstances you can claim New Style (Contribution Based) JSA, which you already have done, or New Stlye (Contribution Based) ESA - that's all that is available to you.

(And the PIP of course).

Your current JSA if you stay with it will be paid from 7 days after the date of your award (you don't get paid JSA for the first 7 days of a new claim), that date will be on your award letter, for 25 weeks. (So 12 payments of 2 weeks and 1 payment of 1 week, in whichever order).

What date does it say on your award letter?
    It should say something like 'you have been awarded JSA from "date" .....'
    What payments (and how much) have you had up to now?
    ie. Can you confirm that you got a payment of £148.70 (£117.80 if you are under 25) yesterday, and what did you get on 2nd April?

Oh right ok thanks, I thought either or other? Do you think in your opinion give JSA a month then apply for New Style ESA? then be some leaway so I am not out altogether?

I got £156.65 on 2 April and £146.20 yesterday (15 April); I was meant to sign on 27 March but because of virus all cancelled they forgot to tick box saying saw my evidence then if that makes sense.

I have letter says we can pay you from 6 March, from 14 March will be £73.10, From 11 April will be £74.35 we can not pay you 7 days of your claim, we cannot pay from 11 Sept 2020 is this enough info? Or do you have email send you letter?
    Last edited by ahearne; 16-04-20 at 18:47.

No that's fine.

As they say your claim started on 6 March and you don't get paid for the first 7 days.

Sorry I forgot your payments spanned the yearly increase.
    That explains the odd amounts, the first payment was 2 weeks and 1 day at the old rate.
    The second payment yesterday was a mixture of so many days old rate and so many days new rate, so just below what you can expect ongoing.

26 weeks from 6 March takes you up to 11 September as they say.

I work it out that your payment dates above are correct.
    You should get 2 weeks payment on 2 Sept, and than a final payment on 11 Sept for 1 week and 2 days = £95.60.

If/when to claim ESA is up to you, but I would bear in mind that the DWP are currently processing a million and a half new UC claims, most staff have been moved onto that (they have even seconded some from the passports offices), you have to ring the UC line to claim NS ESA and getting through on the phone just now can take hours.
    You might want to take time to let things calm down while you think about it.

No that's fine.

As they say your claim started on 6 March and you don't get paid for the first 7 days.

Sorry I forgot your payments spanned the yearly increase.
    That explains the odd amounts, the first payment was 2 weeks and 1 day at the old rate.
    The second payment yesterday was a mixture of so many days old rate and so many days new rate, so just below what you can expect ongoing.

26 weeks from 6 March takes you up to 11 September as they say.

I work it out that your payment dates above are correct.
    You should get 2 weeks payment on 2 Sept, and than a final payment on 11 Sept for 1 week and 2 days = £95.60.

If/when to claim ESA is up to you, but I would bear in mind that the DWP are currently processing a million and a half new UC claims, most staff have been moved onto that (they have even seconded some from the passports offices), you have to ring the UC line to claim NS ESA and getting through on the phone just now can take hours.
    You might want to take time to let things calm down while you think about it.
    Thank you for that appreciate all help you've given to me I was going to wait hopefully have job but probably with so much going on be longer now but thank you for confirming some things to me it's just a shame New Style only lasts six months I just need to keep aside for hearing aids given sheer cost of them as unable to wear NHS sets.