Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Style JSA

Quote Originally Posted by ahearne View Post
    it's just a shame New Style only lasts six months
    That six months was the same with Old Style Contribution Based JSA, nothing has changed in that respect.

The only difference is that when the six months had passed with old style you changed to Income Related JSA, now you change to UC instead.
    In either case your £16K savings would dissallow a claim, you can't claim an Income Related benefit with above that much in savings.

PS. Don't go spending your savings on things that you don't need to, simply to get the balance down so that you can claim IR benefits.
    That is known as "Deprivation of Capital with a view to claiming or increasing benefits", and they can treat it as if you still had the savings anyway.

You can reduce savings by spending them on things that are 'reasonable' (needed), eg. new hearing aids if needed, (or of course living expenses if you have no benefits or other income).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Good moring,

Update for you have been informed moving from Standard Daily Care to Enhanced Daily Care it seems I should have been on both right from the start.

What will this allow me going forward, we were successsful for my mother to get High Rate Attendance Allowance I still assume when my New Style JSA expires no to SDP as my father does not get the AA.

I assume now this would mean I would need to do a UC50 form for UC; given my back injury I am restricted lifting all the time doing repetitive tasks, standing hour or more in same place because of Sciatica, sharp pins and needles. I was on Industrial Injury Benefit but was closed as they deemed i was better assumed be short term thing, seems am ok most days just getting back in routine doing the physical elements of physical jobs will damage the back further. I'm just looking further options if IIDB fails.

Either way just a relief no MR had to be done in first place and can move forward but need to think of my pension etc when NS JSA expires

Thanks again

Unfortunately going from Standard to Enhanced daily living PIP, whilst good to hear, has no effect on your other current benefits.

You still don't qualify for SDP so normally your choice when the JSA is ending would be to claim New Style ESA or claim UC.

But your savings of over £16K mean that you can't claim UC.

So that just leaves NS ESA; and as it's now a few months on from your original post then if I were you I would make a claim for NS ESA now.

It won't make any difference to the money that you recieve, (JSA and ESA assessment rate pay the same), but NS ESA would continue to at least next April whereas the JSA will end in September.

If/when you claim NS ESA then you will get an ESA50, and then have a Work Capability Assessment.
    That can be done on paper or over the phone, but they are not doing Face to Face assessments at the moment.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-06-20 at 19:38.

Hi

Thanks for that are you saying ESA because of my slipped disc and sciatica not able to stand long periods and for my hard of hearing given restrictions in types of jobs can undertake?

Exactly;
    I think I've said before that in my opinion you claimed the wrong benefit and should have claimed NS ESA from the start rather than claiming NS JSA.

As you can claim NS ESA because you do seem to easily qualify for 'Limited Capability to Work' then claiming NS ESA and getting (at least) another 6 months of contribution based benefits would seem to be a no brainer.

OK it means dealing with another new claim and an ESA assessment, but surely that's worth it for another six months (at least) benefit payments?

And again as said above if you are awarded ESA Support Group following assessment then the money goes up, and will then be paid ongoing not just until next April.

Ok thanks, partly worried because of my stamp and pension do not want any gaps in my NI Record etc, and it stopping during a switch as need to support parents with paying bit of house keep e.g. towards the TV Sky etc

Well if you just leave things as they are now the JSA (and thus NI credits) is going to stop in September, leaving you then with just your PIP.

I'll look at. the form for ESA at weekend, thank you for mentioning it just a relief no tribunal was needed

You actually apply for New Style ESA online nowadays, see here: https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e-9f183aca85b9

If you can't use the online application then you can ring them and they will do it over the phone or send out a paper form.

The questions asked in each case will be the same/similar as on the paper form, there's an example here if you want to practice first: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...esa-claim-form

Note that due to covid-19 the online application is the most up to date, with changes about not having to go supply fit-notes, or go to the jobcentre, changes to WCA's, etc.

Form now done hope sorted sometime but least done; let you know what they decide thanks thinking no brainer etc