Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination by supermarkets - action to be taken.

Jeepers kodiak, I’m shocked at your circumstances, a friend of my sister has COPD and is on the list for England, what’s the heck’s going wrong north of the boarder? They’ve got so many things right how’ve they got this wrong, and Tesco customer services are disgusting to do that!

StarBright suggested earlier we use the army but they’re busy refitting arenas as temporary hospitals, but I keep hearing more and more about voluntary groups in addition to the 750000 who volunteered to help the NHS, how about all those people and those that are getting 80% of their salaries collecting shopping, other benefits have Conditionality attached so why not this one? If you’re fit enough to jog every day...

I’m happy to pay for my own choices, and wouldn’t grumble at a fortnightly (or even 3 weeks) delivery but I’ve had 5 weeks and counting since my last one.

I must admit I’ve got a lot of questions that start with “why didn’t they” or “why don’t they” but I’m trying not to speculate as it won’t help.

Stay well

Some interesting comments and none that I can disagree with.

I'm really sorry to see that some of you are still having difficulty. As I've already said, I consider myself very lucky.

I can't see that there's a case for discrimination, but they certainly need to be taken to task over the way they allowed their delivery systems to become inaccessible to existing disabled/elderly/housebound customers. All they had to do was ask for proof that people were in any of those groups.

One thing's for sure - the supermarkets' profits are up (as well as their prices). I think there is a lot of profiteering going on too - hopefully, they'll all get caught and receive heavy fines in the future.

My Asda delivery is due today, missing items as usual. They were in stock when I ordered them and still showing in stock. Tried to add them to next week's delivery as still showing as in stock only to be told that they are out of stock once they are in my basket.
    I am finding online shopping a bit like a lucky dip, you either get a prize or you get nothing.

Mine too Beau - 25% of the items are missing. A couple have been substituted; one in my favour and one in theirs, but this leaves me short of some things I really needed.

However, I won't go hungry and I'm very grateful to be able to get anything after Tesco's appalling behaviour.

I was trying to work out the other day how long I've been shopping online for & it must be about 5-6 years now before that I had family bring me food I asked for. In all those 5-6 years of shopping online from Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons & Ocado at different times I've never had to put subs & in all that time can count on one hand when an item has been out of stock.

The saying somethings in stock & then not when the delivery is due is also down to the sheer amount of people shopping online now. This also never happened until Covid 19. They simply can't keep the computer systems up to date on what they have in & what they don't because it's a huge amount of stock coming in & out as fast as they can.

It's a shame because although people are experiencing online shopping for the first time they are not getting the usual high standard that us old timers of online shopping know they did before Covid hit. My Sainsburys order is due tomorrow

I am seriously thinking of giving my daughter the shopping list to let her get it for me. She lives almost an hour away so that is why I have tried to shop online to save her a return journey. At least that way she will be able to choose the best offers if what I want isn't in stock.
    Luckily she is a canny shopper.

Then your in the realms of is that an essential journey.

This severe lock down won't last forever so when the healthy people get to go out a bit more than this stress on the online grocery shopping will ease there will be more slots less stock for online delivery's will be needed so the computer systems will be able to keep up better.

Everyone's in the same boat right now can we get the food we want no, can we get a bargain no, are we all spending more money on food shopping right now yes. But we are all getting enough food to live none of us are starving. I'm incredibly grateful to Sainsburys right now because if it wasn't for them then I have no idea what I would of done as food parcels are no good to me as I'm allergic/intolerant to everything they put in them apart from tea & coffee!

Makes me wonder how on earth people got enough food to eat during the war with rationing

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    Makes me wonder how on earth people got enough food to eat during the war with rationing
    A lot of imagination and make do. Nothing was wasted
    On saying that we don't waste anything, everything is utilised, even peelings and bits you cut off vegetables. All are washed thoroughly and put into the soupmaker along with spices and herbs. Hey presto, you have a filling meal that will have cost next to nothing. I often add any meat pieces that need eating up too. A meal in a bowl for peanuts.

You see that's a whole new world to me & I've lived on benefits for years! I never waste food only cook what will be eaten & only buy what will be eaten too even down to fresh veg & I thought I was doing well, but never have I ever thought of using veg peelings for a meal veg peelings belong in the bin for me

To be honest I do the same, only buy what will be eaten, same with cooking.
    To my way of thinking some folks nowadays are far too wasteful.

The soup I call "scrap soup" is actually very tasty and filling. At the end of the day, what is the most nourishing part of vegetables? Just under the skin, the bit that is peeled off and disposed of.
    Last edited by beau; 20-04-20 at 12:27.