Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not all PIP awards being extended.

Thanks very much for the reply,nukecad.

Sorry that it wasn't more definite or positive.

But things tend to be being a bit variable at the moment.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Have just read your answer again,nuke.

So it seems todays advice is if your PIP is due to end in the next month or two then get a new claim in.
    Tomorrows advice may be different, we are 'living in interesting times' (an old Chinese curse - look it up) and things are changing from day to day.

Good God !...really,put in a new claim???......Surely they will contact me foirst to tell me that my current claim has/is come/coming to an end?????

Yes they should contact you if your PIP award is due to end.

But at the moment things are stranger than usual, so you have to watch out for yourself and not rely on them doing things on time.

Quote Originally Posted by atmywitsend View Post
    I just came on to post that lol
    Wonder what they will do about the ones who have completed or had sent, a PIP2 since the 24th March.
    It's also worth bearing in mind the extensions were only for claims ending/reviewing for 3 months from the 24 March, so anyone due 25th June onwards still need to complete a PIP2 if the claim is ending (at the moment). Considering the furlough scheme has been extended and a lot of people will still be off work in July, especially assessors, I think that period is likely to be extended at least another 3 months. Also it needs considering a lot of people won't want to use public transport for obvious reasons, so will struggle to get to an assessment.
    I know they are doing telephone assessments at the moment but can see a lot of them being appealed, half the assessment is based on what the assessor can see rather than what is said. For example, anyone can say on the phone, I can only walk 12 meters without having to stop for a minute, or, I can't lift my arms over head height. Unless there is specific medical evidence to back it up, then can see a lot of lost points.
    I suppose the same point could be said though if the assessor is visually observing you someone can pretend to struggle to lift their arms above their head, and pretend to not be able to walk, so I dont see the big deal there. Ultimately when the assessor assesses you they see you once as a one off, a snapshot. I have always seen f2f assessments as a fraud check. The people who dont have enough evidence to get a paper award have the f2f, and its essentially to see if what they observe matches up to what is claimed by the claimant.

An assessor even confirmed this, she said if there is anything contradictory on the paper evidence then it prevents a decision been made and a f2f is arranged.

A phone assessment would prevent e.g. an assessor saying "observed claimant walk to their armchair, this must mean they can walk 200m, 0 points". Of course they can find other reasons e.g. "claimant told me they walk to their toilet to go toilet, must mean they can walk 200m, 0 points", but it means they have to be more creative now in doing so.

My opinion is when an assessor observes you, they looking for giveaways to verify the honesty of the claimant, the manner in which you talk, the way you move, they ask repeat questions worded differently to see if you are consistent, they check how you dress, your hygiene, if you able to communicate with them, eye contact, if its a home visit, they likely would observe the surroundings to indicate if this is how a disabled person would typically live, that sort of thing. An actual medical examination isnt carried out. A benefit assessment is more like an interview than anything else, and anything they observe is much more likely to lose you points than gain you points.
    Last edited by worried33; 22-05-20 at 02:18.

Just to update this, I've spoken to PIP this afternoon and my award due to end 30 August has been extended automatically until the end of Feb 2021, so that should be good news for anyone who has an end date or review due after the initial 3 month period they said they were extending for (3 months from 24th March).
    For some reason they haven't sent a letter, apparently it was extended last week, but no letter has been sent out yet so don't panic too much if you haven't got one yet.

With lockdown due to be relaxed for members of the Shielding Group as of tomorrow,i guess it is not inconceivable to imagine that many vulnerable people are going to me made to attend F2F assessments (for both PIP and ESA) in the very near future,and hence,could be at risk of contracting Covid-19 and possibly losing their lives..Is that a reasonable assumption?..Thoughts please.?

I'd say that if that does start happening then a refusal to attend a F2F because of the risk should/would be accepted as 'Good Reason'.

It's not going to look good in the press if they start forcing vulnerable people to put themselves at risk, both from the journey to get there and from the F2F itself.

If they want to start F2Fs again then they will have to come up with a safe way of doing them.

An example of the PIP extension letter has been posted on rightsnet:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/?ACT=39...a0Y&board_id=1

Apparently they are only sending these letters out the day before an award is due to end.
    Not very good for those who's award is due to end and are wondering what is happening.

Well thats better than ESA deferrals where you get no letter at all, but yeah leaving it that late is a bit off.