Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not all PIP awards being extended.

The court specified one length, the DWP specified two with the payments changing.
    I'm going to dig out the law next week and have a proper look at it. I'll not back down lol. Normally I wouldn't care, as review or new claim would require an assessment and most likely an MR then appeal, but in the current circumstances a new claim is likely to leave me without any payments for a fair while, whereas an extension would remove that problem

What the DWP work on is that any such legal challenge will take at least a couple of years - by which time they will have changed a few words in their guidance so they can say that what is being challenged is no longer relevant.

In the Select Comittee review into WCA's and PIP assessments a few yeras ago one legal expert gave the view that the DWP were running their own legal system outside government/judicial control. (MRs before you can appeal are just one example).
    Of course the government didn't challenge that because the DWP were doing just what the government wanted.

Good luck, but expect your PIP award to end on the set date if not renewed.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    What the DWP work on is that any such legal challenge will take at least a couple of years - by which time they will have changed a few words in their guidance so they can say that what is being challenged is no longer relevant.

In the Select Comittee review into WCA's and PIP assessments a few yeras ago one legal expert gave the view that the DWP were running their own legal system outside government/judicial control. (MRs before you can appeal are just one example).
    Of course the government didn't challenge that because the DWP were doing just what the government wanted.

Good luck, but expect your PIP award to end on the set date if not renewed.
    They are now extending this type of award for 6 months too. He said 'in the next 3 months' in his statement, typically mines 30th August so doesn't fall in that timescale typically lol. With the furlough scheme being extended until October I expect benefits due to expire before then will be extended too, as many staff will still be off work.

I was just going to post about the latest development in this saga on the PIP extension issue for fixed term awards; a House of Commons question/answer yesterday:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...997B09/details
    Karin Smyth [V]

On 4 May, the Secretary of State assured the House that the Government would provide an automatic extension of PIP awards that are due to expire during the coronavirus virus pandemic. Can the Minister confirm that this extension applies to all claimants, including those who received an award following an appeal?

Justin Tomlinson

............. There was an issue for those on fixed-term, short awards, but we have now addressed that, and those claimants will continue to get an automatic six months’ extension if it is due in the next three months.
    One thing to note there is that although the question was specifically about court awards following appeal the reply only says "fixed-term, short awards" and doesn't mention appeals at all.

However CPAG have reported that some of their 'fixed term at appeal' PIP cases that had been originally refused an extension have now been given the six month extension. (With no further explanation of why the DWP changed their mind).

TBH I think the main problem has been that the gov. are making sweeping statements and it's taking time for DWP guidance to catch up.

Plus of course the majority of effort is being put into making all the new UC claimants 'happy' in the hope that they'll be back at work before they notice how broken the system actually is.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-05-20 at 18:54.

Latest Parlimentary answer - 14th May (yesterday):

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...0-05-06/43839/
    Since 24 March the Department has been extending awards of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) due to end from that date onwards, regardless of whether the final decision on the award was made by a Case Manager or a Tribunal.
    There have also been another few reports that fixed term PIP awards that had been originally refused an extension have now been given the six month extension.

Looks like someone in government has finally given the DWP a kick up the backside about this.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Latest Parlimentary answer - 14th May (yesterday):

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...0-05-06/43839/

There have also been another few reports that fixed term PIP awards that had been originally refused an extension have now been given the six month extension.

Looks like someone in government has finally given the DWP a kick up the backside about this.
    I just came on to post that lol
    Wonder what they will do about the ones who have completed or had sent, a PIP2 since the 24th March.
    It's also worth bearing in mind the extensions were only for claims ending/reviewing for 3 months from the 24 March, so anyone due 25th June onwards still need to complete a PIP2 if the claim is ending (at the moment). Considering the furlough scheme has been extended and a lot of people will still be off work in July, especially assessors, I think that period is likely to be extended at least another 3 months. Also it needs considering a lot of people won't want to use public transport for obvious reasons, so will struggle to get to an assessment.
    I know they are doing telephone assessments at the moment but can see a lot of them being appealed, half the assessment is based on what the assessor can see rather than what is said. For example, anyone can say on the phone, I can only walk 12 meters without having to stop for a minute, or, I can't lift my arms over head height. Unless there is specific medical evidence to back it up, then can see a lot of lost points.

Be honest, they don't seem to know what they are doing from day to day in any kind of joined up way.

So we have not much chance of working it out until it happens.

I saw a message earlier today, puportedly from the DWP to an advice organisation worker, that said although they were doing PIP assessments by telephone they were not doing any ESA/UC work capability assessments at all, (not even the ones that could be done on paper only).

I can believe it.
    After all, in DWP land once someone is on standard rate UC or assessment rate ESA they are getting something so there's no rush.

My three year PIP award (awarded from July 2017) also runs out soon.Like atmywitsend,i also had to go to Tribunal (on the morning was told not to attend said Tribunal after panel decided i had a case,after apx 12 month wait)in my case to fight to get increased rate of PIP.I am presuming mine was not a short term award,as i would have received a letter from the DWP by now,yes?...Is it likely i am going to be put in the 3 month extension Group?....I am really worried about what happens down the line because i am in the Government's shielding Group and do not have anybody to help me.I also do not have a printer at home to print off any relevant documents that the DWP are going to need further down the line.

Can anybody out there put my mind at rest and tell me i am going to have my awarded extended 6 months at a time please?...i have looked at my award paperwork and cannot see the words "Short Term Award" anywhere.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jw68; 18-05-20 at 11:45.

While I don't think that anyone can give you a 100% definite answer; it does seem that this glitch has now been sorted out and all PIP awards that are coming to their end date are now being extended as announced/intended.

A definite statement from the government/DWP would help set peoples mind at rest.
    But don't expect one because that would mean admitting that they were getting it wrong for a while.

Mmm; this is from rightsnet today -

Our person had to make a new claim but it was ‘backdated’ to the end of the previous award.
    And that was what I think advisers and clients, including mine, are being told to do by the helpline, but it is no consolation if during this crisis the DWP are unable to get the claim processed before the “end date” and the benefit and all linked benefits cease. Glad to see that they now appear to be extending awards rather than return dates, thus hopefully avoiding this pitfall drop in income for vulnerable clients.
    So it looks like the DWP are still not fully joined-up here, but will do the right thing when pushed.

So it seems todays advice is if your PIP is due to end in the next month or two then get a new claim in.
    Tomorrows advice may be different, we are 'living in interesting times' (an old Chinese curse - look it up) and things are changing from day to day.