Thread: DLA son turned 16

DLA son turned 16

Hi and thanks for letting me join.

My son who is in receipt of DLA High Rate Care, Low Rate Mobility turned 16 on 2nd May. I am already his appointee for PIP that was done earlier this year.

His DLA was paid 2 weeks ago but today a payment has went in which is just a couple of £s out of being half of his full DLA.

I'm completely confused. Does this mean they've stopped his DLA? His award is till 2021 but I knew he had to transfer to PIP at 16 anyway but I've heard nothing and all I can see is you receive word AFTER your 16th birthday about PIP.

If someone could help me, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you in advance.

"I am already his appointee for PIP that was done earlier this year."

From that I'm assuming that he has already made a claim for PIP, so that you could be made his appointee - has he had an assessment yet?; has he been given (or refused) an award yet?
    If he hasn't claimed yet then has he had a letter about claiming?

Under the Covid-19 rules child DLA will (should) continue past 16 until a PIP decision can be made.
    If he has already had an assessment (it may have been don on paper only) then they can continue making the decision.
    If he hasn't yet had an assessment (or letter saying to claim) then child DLA should continue to be paid until they can do one.

If a PIP decision has been made then it may simply be that his payments are changing over from DLA to PIP.
    Or it may be that the system says that they have to make a DLA payment up to his birthday, and then continue under different rules.

You will need to ring the PIP helpline and ask them what is going on, explain carefully what has happened otherwise they will just trot out the standard C-19 advice.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi, no claim has been made for PIP yet. I phoned DWP and they have now told me because we live in Scotland he will continue to receive DLA (apparently the name will change) till he's 18 as Scottish Government have taken over this benefit. So I'm guessing by them giving me this information it has to be correct. I just worry with the DWP. Many thanks.