Thread: Please help me work out how much ESA I should be getting?

Angry Please help me work out how much ESA I should be getting?

I get £74 ESA a week and I’ve got an ‘overlap’ of contribution based and income based ESA.

Ok, so I worked out that I’m getting what I should be on but it has only increased £2 since the beginning of April...?

That's correct it went up from £73.10 a week to £74.35 a week, which is £1.25 a week or £2.50 one each fortnightly payment.

Are you still on assessment rate, or were you awarded LCW (WRAG) since April 2017?

At that particular payment rate it won't be both CB and IR, it will be one or the other depending on when you first claimed.

Are you still getting PIP? if so at what rates for each component?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I’m on main faze. Support group, I have an IR ‘top up’.

And I get pip both highest.
    Last edited by Noobs; 11-05-20 at 06:20.

Is there something else that you are not telling us then? Because that ESA payment does not look correct at all.

Do you have savings/capital above £6,000, if so are they above £16,000?

Do you live alone?
    Does anyone claim Carers allowance for looking after you?

Are you having any deductions taken from your ESA?
    Do you have any other income, such as a private pension or a compensation award?

From what you have told us up to now you should be getting at least £113.55 a week ESA. (and possibly as much as £197.60 a week).

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Is there something else that you are not telling us then? Because that ESA payment does not look correct at all.

Do you have savings/capital above £6,000, if so are they above £16,000?

Do you live alone?
    Does anyone claim Carers allowance for looking after you?

Are you having any deductions taken from your ESA?
    Do you have any other income, such as a private pension or a compensation award?

From what you have told us up to now you should be getting at least £113.55 a week ESA. (and possibly as much as £197.60 a week).

I worked it out and I’m on £113. I get CB with an IB ‘top up’ I also get disability premiums.

No to all of your questions...but I do live alone.
    How could I be on £197?
    Last edited by Noobs; 12-05-20 at 04:48.

£113.55 is the current rate for someone in Support Group on CB ESA only without any premiums.

You are asking us how much ESA you should be getting - so you need to tell us just how much ESA you are currently getting in total, including premiums, rather than drip feeding the information a bit at a time.

If you want a meaningful answer then you need to provide the relevant details so that an answer can be given.

For example you never even mentioned that you had PIP until asked, having PIP could be very important to how much ESA you should be getting.

What other benefits are you getting?

You say 'Premiums' with ESA, are you getting more than one premium, if so which premiums?

If there is an IR ESA entitlement then you should automatically be getting another £17.10 a week for the Enhanced Disability Premium. (Called the 'Disability Income Guarantee' on letters).
    Which would make your weekly ESA payment £130.65.

And it sounds as if you may also qualify for the Severe Disability Premium with IR ESA.
    Another £66.95 a week, taking ESA payments up to £197.60 a week.

But unless you give us the details of just what benefits you are getting now then we can't work if you should be getting more.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-05-20 at 16:14.

Question

£113.55 is the current rate for someone in Support Group on CB ESA only without any premiums.

You are asking us how much ESA you should be getting - so you need to tell us just how much ESA you are currently getting in total, including premiums, rather than drip feeding the information a bit at a time.

If you want a meaningful answer then you need to provide the relevant details so that an answer can be given.

For example you never even mentioned that you had PIP until asked, having PIP could be very important to how much ESA you should be getting.

What other benefits are you getting?

You say 'Premiums' with ESA, are you getting more than one premium, if so which premiums?

If there is an IR ESA entitlement then you should automatically be getting another £17.10 a week for the Enhanced Disability Premium. (Called the 'Disability Income Guarantee' on letters).
    Which would make your weekly ESA payment £130.65.

And it sounds as if you may also qualify for the Severe Disability Premium with IR ESA.
    Another £66.95 a week, taking ESA payments up to £197.60 a week.

But unless you give us the details of just what benefits you are getting now then we can't work if you should be getting more.
    Ok.

I get EDP and SDP

I also get HB

What else should I be on?

That's fine, and it means that you do get £197.60 ESA per week, (not '£74' as you first said), it's all one ESA payment made up of seperate 'components'.

£ 74.35 Personal Allowance
    £ 39.20 Support Group
    £ 17.10 EDP
    £ 66.95 SDP
    £197.60 Total ESA payable.

So with your PIP and HB you seem to be on the correct benefits.

If you want to double check it then put your details into one of the benefit calculators here:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Ignore anything that it says about UC payment comparisons, any UC comparison given will not be correct for your circumstances.
    The calculators should tell you that you can't claim UC in your circumstances.
    (Any UC calculation will be for a brand new claim, you cannot make a brand new claim for UC but will eventually Managed Migrated which will pay more than what the calculators say for a new claim).
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-05-20 at 19:00.

That's fine, and it means that you do get £197.60 ESA per week, (not '£74' as you first said), it's all one ESA payment made up of seperate 'components'.

£ 74.35 Personal Allowance
    £ 39.20 Support Group
    £ 17.10 EDP
    £ 66.95 SDP
    £197.60 Total ESA payable.

So with your PIP and HB you seem to be on the correct benefits.

If you want to double check it then put your details into one of the benefit calculators here:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Ignore anything that it says about UC payment comparisons, any UC comparison given will not be correct for your circumstances.
    The calculators should tell you that you can't claim UC in your circumstances.
    (Any UC calculation will be for a brand new claim, you cannot make a brand new claim for UC but will eventually Managed Migrated which will pay more than what the calculators say for a new claim).
    Thank you, my minds at rest now.