Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP consultation under Covid

GP consultation under Covid

I've just had a GP consultation, and I thought others may like to know my experience of how they are doing things.
    (At least how they did it for me here).

I've had acute pelvic/leg pains for over a week, and a raised temperature for a couple of days, so I rang the surgery yesterday.

They arranged a call back today for a telephone consultation, called right on the arranged time.
    Came up as 'private number' but I was expecting that.

After a discussion the GP decided that it was probably Sciatica, but was concerned about the raised temperature.

At first she wanted me to go to a 'local' Red Hub clinic for an examination.
    Those are isolating clinics with special arrangements for suspected Covid cases and/or those who are isolating/shielding but need an examination.
    At first glance it could seem a bit odd to do both types at the same place, but as long as everyone is kept isolated from each other then it's reasonable.

I pointed out that it was 5-1/2 miles away not exactly local, I'd have to use public transport, and I'm struggling to walk because of the pelvic/leg pain.

So she said she'd send out a 'community paramedic', who turned up about 45 mins later.
    This community (non-emergency) paramedic team has always been available, but thay have come into their own doing house visits for GPs during Covid. (Cannon fodder?).

He did a mostly 'hands off' examination and then phoned the GP to discuss his findings.

No real problems, the GP sent an electronic prescription for some stronger pain relief to my designated pharmacy. (And also made an ongoing adjustment to my regular meds).

Now I just need to hobble the 400 meters or so to the pharmacy to pick up the codine.
    I could ring them and ask them to deliver, but I could do with the excercise and getting out of the house for a while.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Pleased you were sorted out

The "Community Paramedics" team in my area are called "JET" Joint Emergency Team. I had a visit from them a couple of years ago after calling for someone to come out to me for a virus which would not shift & needed to find out if it had gone to an infection. The GP said the "Jet" team will come out.

I had no idea who or what that was the only Jet I know of is a jet wash I had visions of me opening the front door to be drenched by a jet of water

Anyway the lady paramedic who turned up was far far better than any GP or out of hours Doctor I've ever met & totally wish the "Jet" team would take over the out of hours team & all the household visits a GP would need to do.

I've been wondering how they have been getting on with this Covid 19.

I had to call the Doctor's a couple of weeks ago I had Conjunctivitis again & one of the nursing team who can subscribe called me back & ended up talking about her new home she had just brought & was painting it!. She too I have to say was much better than a lot of other medical people I've come across in the past. She sent the prescription to local chemist then I asked one of the local covid 19 volunteers to pick it up for me which they did the same day.

If I could pick your codine up for you I would

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    I've been wondering how they have been getting on with this Covid 19.
    So was I, which is why I thought others may be interested in my experience.

I've been and picked it up, with a couple or rests each way.
    It's a box of 100x 30/500 co codamol tablets which seems a lot considering all the warnings and restrictions they have with selling over-the-counter co codamol (8/500's), but I guess they trust me to be sensible.

They nearly got culled a year or so ago in my area due to spending cuts & they were over a LOT of money so some things got culled. Thankfully they "restructured" them & were going to try & get people to use them more so I expect that means get more GP's to use them though not sure what difference or effect that had on the paramedics already employed by them

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I've just had a GP consultation, and I thought others may like to know my experience of how they are doing things.
    (At least how they did it for me here).

I've had acute pelvic/leg pains for over a week, and a raised temperature for a couple of days, so I rang the surgery yesterday.

They arranged a call back today for a telephone consultation, called right on the arranged time.
    Came up as 'private number' but I was expecting that.

After a discussion the GP decided that it was probably Sciatica, but was concerned about the raised temperature.

At first she wanted me to go to a 'local' Red Hub clinic for an examination.
    Those are isolating clinics with special arrangements for suspected Covid cases and/or those who are isolating/shielding but need an examination.
    At first glance it could seem a bit odd to do both types at the same place, but as long as everyone is kept isolated from each other then it's reasonable.

I pointed out that it was 5-1/2 miles away not exactly local, I'd have to use public transport, and I'm struggling to walk because of the pelvic/leg pain.

So she said she'd send out a 'community paramedic', who turned up about 45 mins later.
    This community (non-emergency) paramedic team has always been available, but thay have come into their own doing house visits for GPs during Covid. (Cannon fodder?).

He did a mostly 'hands off' examination and then phoned the GP to discuss his findings.

No real problems, the GP sent an electronic prescription for some stronger pain relief to my designated pharmacy. (And also made an ongoing adjustment to my regular meds).

Now I just need to hobble the 400 meters or so to the pharmacy to pick up the codine.
    I could ring them and ask them to deliver, but I could do with the excercise and getting out of the house for a while.
    Hope pain killers worked and you are feeling better?

Thanks;
    It's only sciatica so nothing drastic, but if you've ever had it then you know it can be very painful.

Still sore, the trek to the pharmacy didn't do my leg/hip any favours.
    Bit silly realy as there is a different pharmacy about 15 meters from my front door, but I've always used the one at the other end of the main street, because it's next door to the doctors surgery.
    I suppose that I should change my nominated pharmacy but haven't got round to it.

The stronger Co codamol is helping, and I should hopefully be able to get some decent sleep tonight.
    (Of course when I would have liked my IH to knock me unconcious for a period it was nowhere to be seen).
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-05-20 at 19:39.

Horrible when you can't sleep & are in pain it's so boring & frustrating at the same time!

IH?

Glad the co codamol are helping I was out of it with them & almost to passing out I'm such a light weight

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    IH?
    Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

It's not well known or understood.
    There are various forms of excessive sleep disorder all currently lumped under the 'Idiopathic Hypersomnia' banner.
    https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/di...ic-hypersomnia

It literally translates from doctor-speak as:
    Idiopathic = 'of unknown cause'
    Hypersomnia = 'excessive sleep'

So it's more of a description than a diagnosis.

My particular form of IH means that I can go to sleep as normal and just not wake up for hours or even days.
    My personal record is 3-1/2 or 4 days IH unconciousness, it's not been that bad for a number of years though.
    10 to 20 hours sleep a day is 'normal' for me nowadays, with the ocassional 24 hours plus.

It was originally suspected that I had the scary Kleine-Levin Syndrome (KLS): https://klsfoundation.org/what-is-kl...evin-syndrome/
    But as I don't fit the age demographic, and it's only the sleep part that affects me, they settled on the catch all of Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

Once I'm out nothing can wake me, I even had someone jab a pin in my thigh once while I was out to see if I would wake, they said I didn't even flinch.

The main problems are dehydration/hunger on waking, and the ocassional soiled bed; plus of course not being able to go to work reliably which employers tend not to like at all.

PS. Take a closer look at the ribbon on my avatar, there's a clue there that it's the IH ribbon.
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-05-20 at 21:14.

I have wondered before if your ribbon stood for an illness because I know some illnesses do have them.

Blimey when your out your out!

I hope your not too disoriented when you do wake up from such a long time. Unfortunately our body's still work & need food/drink & the toilet when going through a worse time & you just can't manage that because your out

I asked because one of the illnesses I've got is IIH Idiopathic Intercranial Hypertention & I think they have a blue ribbon I don't get the headaches thankfully I do get pain in my head though which is different

I hope you got some IH down time last night so you could have a few hours break from the sciatica pain horrible sharp shooting pain that

I have wondered before if your ribbon stood for an illness because I know some illnesses do have them.
    The 'ZZZ's' are the clue that it's for an excessive sleep disorder.

TBH I think that the ribons have become too pervasive to be significant these days, there seems to be a ribbon for anything that you can think of many of them not illneses at all.

I'm fine when I wake, apart from thirst (and annoyance if I've been out a long time, especially if I have to change the bed).

TBH mine isn't even Idiopathic, the cause is known.
    I had encaphalitis post measles as an infant in the 1960's, brain swelling due to an immune system reaction, almost died.

That left me with a legacy of blinding migraines as a teenager, which developed into epilepsy and later hypersomnia. (Although there were signs of excessive sleep even as a teenager - but that's just lazy teenagers isn't it?).

Leg still very painful despite the codine.
    I've been out twice today both times less than 50m, both times couldn't have managed much more. Luckilly I've got plenty of supplies in.

One surprise, I was passing the pharmacy next door and decided to see if they had a digital thermometer.
    They only had 2 left which isn't surprising, what was surprising was the price, only £2.
    Similar ones on the web are £6 upwards.

Hope your IIH is under control.
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-05-20 at 13:32.