Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carer's Allowance and ESA

Yes, I did a rough calculation of just under £1,800 back money. If that's the case I'm wondering what a 'reasonable' amount to hold in a current account is given the savings rules regarding benefit. My computer is nine years old and I think buying a new one would be justified. But as my wife insists we wash absolutely everything that comes into the house - including post - I don't think she'd be too happy with me buying one right now. Do you think if I held say a 'three months essential payments' amount - as 'insurance' in my current account that would be okay or could that be regarded as savings which might take me over the 6K limit? I don't object to losing a few quid but don't want to get into all the hassle of fresh form-filling & waiting for decisions.

As a benefit backpayment it would be disregarded as capital/savings for 52 weeks, so wouldn't be added to any other savings that you have for those 52 weeks.

That should be plenty of time to spend it, especially if you are buying a new PC.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks again. Here's hoping