Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shielders & Vulnerable To Covid 19 Now Have To Stay In until June 30th

Shielders & Vulnerable To Covid 19 Now Have To Stay In until June 30th(Rules Changed)

I was wondering what the next advice was going to be the other day when Boris said that some lockdown restrictions were lifting but shielders & vulnerable people have to stay in. I searched this morning & come across the Gov website was updated yesterday to say we have to stay in until 30th of June which is a further 3 weeks on top of the 12 weeks we have been doing.

Here's the page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eoples-version

I was listening to the local BBC radio & it seems the rules have changed a little. it say's:

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick will announce details of the changes in England at Sunday's government Downing Street press conference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440
    Last edited by StarBright; 31-05-20 at 07:15.

It is like being in a prison. Hubby is having to shield and although I am advised to stay at home I could go out. In order to keep my hubby safe as possible I am not going anywhere because I don't know what I would bring home to him. It is not worth risking his life.

Those that are breaking the lockdown rules are only thinking of themselves. The more the virus spreads the longer it will all go on and it will be a nightmare for those shielding. At this rate I can't see the shielders ever being able to leave their homes this side of Christmas.

I totally agree, as much as all people should have their own liberty I don't think we were shut down strictly enough right from the start. There should of been no "exercise" allowed I don't think any of the worse hit country's allowed anyone out for "exercise" they could only go out for food & medication & even that in Spain was only allowed with written permission in some parts.

I think that's why our daily death rate is still so high at almost 400 a day & about 3,000 a day still testing positive for Covid 19.

I'm just grateful it's summer because at least we have maximum daylight a day which is helping me

I think your doing the right thing by staying put & believe me I understand how much that's taking to do

I too am staying at home and I think it will probably be for the rest of the year, not just until the end of June. The way we live has now changed completely until they find a cure/vaccine for this virus - which could be many years or never.

The government were far too slow to act; the lockdown should have been at least three weeks sooner than it was and in my opinion they are relaxing the rules (that weren't stringent enough anyway) far too soon.

Other countries acted much faster than us and had better results with containing the virus and less deaths. Our government pussyfooted around for far too long, under the impression, I think, that it won't happen to us.

Greece are now welcoming tourists but not from the UK amongst other highly affected countries.

If we do manage to travel abroad we are faced with isolation for 14 days on return which takes the fun out of a holiday in the sun. Anyhow, how can anyone working afford to be taking an extra 2 weeks off work just because of a holiday? Very few I should think.

I'm using my own common sense, staying at home but not afraid of going shopping etc. when I need to.
    I do live alone so don't have to worry about infecting anyone else at home if I do catch it.

When I'm out try and distance but it's not always possible, so hold your breath and turn your face if you have to get close to someone.
    I'm not using a face covering; that is more to protect others from your possibly infected saliva than yourself from theirs.

I think the issue here is that at the start the UK government was more worried about how this was going to affect the economy than how it would affect people.
    They were reluctant to do anything that would shut businesses.

Then when they realised there were bigger issues than the economy, which was going to suffer whatever they did, and they got worried that the NHS would be overwhelmed.
    And so they closed pubs and cafes, then a week later imposed lockdown.
    Which has worked so far, the NHS has been stretched almost to breaking point but has not been overwhelmed.

To be fair the government have mostly abandoned trying to protect the economy and have accepted that it's going to cost, and going to take a long time to recover.

I think that one of the problems is that with everyone staying at home we are reliant on the news to tell us what is going on.
    When we get back to interacting with our local communities we will start to realise just what the toll has been and how many are no longer here.

Of course as with any epidemic/pandemic it's the eldest and those with existing health conditions that are taking the biggest toll.

Which has a benefit for the government in that future pension and disability benefit bills will be smaller.
    To be very cynical there will be quite a bit of social housing being freed up now, especially bungalows and adapted properties.
    I'm already seeing that on our local social housing 'bidding' site, usually you will see one bungalow available a month - there are 8 this week.

In my opinion we have to avoid and ignore the idiots; they are not going to change.

To paraphrase the government here is my 3 phrase advice: "Stay at home as much as you can. - Protect yourself (and your family). - Save lives."
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I think the issue here is that at the start the UK government was more worried about how this was going to affect the economy than how it would affect people.
    They were reluctant to do anything that would shut businesses.

So money talks to our government. Well that backfired didn't it? They are in a worse mess now than they would have been had they acted earlier unless you can say they will be better off later as they will have to pay less out. Or did they think it was an easy way of culling, let the virus do it for us. I am being cynical now but I wouldn't put anything past our supposed leaders.

So much for obeying the lockdown rules. I have just been out to water my tubs and somebody in our vicinity is having a party. Loud music, lots of different voices and laughter. Folk like them making it harder for us by causing extended shielding time because of the number of new cases.
    It's a case of "I'm all right Jack"

As above:
    In my opinion we have to avoid and ignore the idiots; they are not going to change.
    Forget them and look after yourselves, that's always been the same just more so at the moment.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Just to say I've edited the thread because on the BBC local radio this morning they are saying people shielding can go out once a day now & that:

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick will announce details of the changes in England at Sunday's government Downing Street press conference.
    Last edited by StarBright; 31-05-20 at 07:16.