Thread: Selling home and inform DWP to stop my benefits

Selling home and inform DWP to stop my benefits

Hello everyone,

I am trying to sell home quickly using webuyanyhome, we are agreeing a final price of £60.000/65.000, but I am not buying another place, I am going to clear all my debts and go to rent, still with an amonut higher than the threshold of £16000 sitting in my bank account and I would like to know which is the best moment to call DWP to have both my PIP and IR ESA stopped, will I have to send sale completion statement or just a phone call is enough to stop the benefits?

No comments about selling your home that way.

Inform the DWP once the money is actally paid to you, not before that.

Once you have that money (over £16K) and you are not intending to use it to buy another home, then you are not entitled to any IR benefits.
    So what you spend it on is nothing to do with the DWP if you are not intending to keep claiming Income Related benefits.

But do note that if you are going to try and claim any IR benefits (Universal Credit) to pay your rent after the sale then that is a whole different ball game.
    If you do that then they will look at how you spent the money.

Contribution Based benefit, and more importantly your PIP are not affected by how much money you have as savings.
    PIP is not affected by any savings that you have.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not going to ask them to pay my rent.

Well I will inform PIP anyway having more than £16000.....but I still don't know if I go back home to Italy or I start to work part time here.....I reckon they must stop my PIP too.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions nukecad
    Last edited by theitalianalien; 30-05-20 at 22:56.

Since when did savings affect PIP ?
    Call me Mike.

Many people who have PIP work as well.

As long as the work being done does not conflict with the reason that you have PIP then it's not a problem.

eg. You can have PIP for not being able to walk far, but that doesn't stop you doing a desk job or working behind a shop counter sat down.

Ok, but I am going back home to Italy for good, so I am going to ask to stop PIP too.

Don't be too hasty about stopping PIP, you may/should be able to keep the Daily Living component of PIP while living abroad permanently in the EEA.
    (You can't get the Mobility Component if you are living abroad though).

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

You should ask the Disability Benefits Exportability Team about exporting you PIP to Italy.
    https://www2.dwp.gov.uk/tps-directgo...tps/pip-aa.asp

Thanks nukecad.

I can't cope with my mental issues alone anymore, so I am slowly deciding to move back to my parents in Italy for good. I will clear all my credit cards and seek mental health help in Italy too