Thread: Baby on the way, will I be forced onto UC?

Baby on the way, will I be forced onto UC?

Hi, First off I just want to say that Im not happy about having a child with still on benefits and me and the wife would of preferred to wait but the clock was ticking and we were in a now or never situation. Dont know why I had to put that but I guess guilt sneaks up on you.

At the moment myself and my wife receive.

IR-ESA SUPPORT
    PIP
    HB
    CARERS

Now as we are going to take a significant change of situation come November and I felt the icy cold hand of a reassessment drawing near before all this who ha went off. I gather I will be railroaded into UC sharpish.

Having been unable to view a news feed in the last 4 years without consent UC fear mongering how worried should I be

Congrats again on the new baby, I guess that it's been born now? (It's almost eleven months since you first said on here that your wife was pregnant?)

We went through it at that time, but I'll summarise again.

Nobody can 'force' you to claim UC. (Not yet anyway).

You can always simply not claim any UC for the child, stay on your current benefits, and manage without the extra money. - But that would be a bit daft wouldn't it?

If you want to claim benefits for the child then one of those benefits will be UC.
    The other will be Child Benefit, see below.

When you do claim UC for the new baby then your IR-ESA and your HB will both be 'Naturally Migrated' to UC as well.

Your ESA award of WRAG or Support group will be carried across to UC as LCW or LCWRA respectively.

PIP will not be affected, it will still be paid as it is, and will not be deducted from UC.

CA will still be paid seperately but will be deducted £ for £ from the UC payment; however having the CA will entitle you to an extra Carer Element in UC.

You can also claim Child benefit seperately from UC.
    In fact you should do that before claiming UC as it makes getting the UC Child Element easier, the first question they ask is if you are getting Child Benefit and if you are then UC Child Element is approved without further questions.
    https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit

I suggest again that you put your details with the child into one of the benefit calculators to see just how much you will get if you claim UC Child Element and so migrate IR-ESA and HB to UC.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Be aware that if you are currently in ESA WRAG then the calculator will (probably) miss out the UC-LCW element and you'll have to add it on yourself. That's because UC-LCW payment is only included if you first claimed ESA before April 2017.
    If you are currently ESA Support Group then the calculator will add the UC-LCWRA payment automatically.

Things have changed since the early days of UC - and avoiding UC at all costs is no longer the correct advice for most people.

Most people will be better off on UC.
    You should be better off on UC.
    Also remember that Managed Migration is still on the horizon, so you are going to have to move to UC at sometime in the next few years anyway.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-06-20 at 14:35.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hasnt been born yet as the last time wasnt meant to be, completely forgot about asking last time it was a rollercoaster thanks again

Sorry to hear about that, hope all is going well this time.

As I said UC is no longer the ogre that it was, there are still issues with it of course, there always will be with any benefit.

They have got much better at handling new claims and Natural Migrations, plus they've had a lot of practice handling all kinds of different circumstances in the last couple of months.
    You can't beat on the job training and experience.

Some of those will have been straightforward new claims, but many/most would also have included Natural Migration of Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, and Housing Benefits.

It's actually slightly easier to claim UC at the moment without having to go down to the jobcentre for an ID interview and then an 'Initial claim' interview.

PS. Don't forget that UC also currently pays (at least) £20 a week more than the equivalent ESA.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-06-20 at 22:09.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.