Thread: Motability Qualification

Motability Qualification

I am 72 yrs old and became disabled within the last two years. My wife is a year younger and despite poor health is not disabled. When sorting out the state benefits I was steered towards Attendance Allowance due to my age.
    Now, the old car is showing signs of its age, as well as us, and I am interested in the Motability scheme.
    However, it says that Attendance Allowance is not recognised by the scheme. I wonder why?
    Is the scheme limited to those of working age only, or the long term disabled who are transferred to P IP?
    I would like to know, thanks

Motability scheme is only available to those who receive the mobility component of PIP or DLA. Sadly you are out of the age range to apply for those.
    There is no mobility component with AA.

Thank you beau, but I know that......I have read that on the Motability website. . My question is, WHY? ...
    Is it right that a disabled man who starts to claim in his early 60s can enjoy the benefits of the scheme, wheras people like me cannot? It seems ludicrous to me and downright unfair.
    What is different about Attendance Allowance that makes it unacceptable?

I would love to know the thinking behind this and then I might understand.

AA does not have a mobility component to entitle you to Motability, it is only for care. Yes, it does seem very unfair but that's the way of the world. Could you use the award you have to lease hire?

I would love to know the thinking behind this and then I might understand.
    Why?

They assume that anyone over state pension age is going to have mobility problems sooner or later, so in their view that's not a disability but just 'normal' old age.

So unless it was assessed as a mobility disability before state pension age then they won't count it.

That's also why an existing mobility award in PIP or DLA can never be increased after state pension age.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-06-20 at 20:04.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

That's also why an existing mobility award in PIP or DLA can never be increased after state pension age.
    I am 72 Years old, I have been on DLA for over 10 Years now. I get Higher Mobility and Care. Everytime the DLA Rate for Mobility has been increased, including after I was 65 Years old right up to present date, I have always received the increase.

Each February I get a letter from the DWP confirming the of Benefit along with the upcoming Increase in April. So you do get your DLA Mobility Bemefit increased after State Pension Age.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Kodiak, I think Nukecad means the level of the award ie low to high not the amount payable which does increase every year regardless of age.

That is what I was meaning.

If you have the mobility element in PIP/DLA then after you reach state pension age it can be reduced from Enhanced to Standard or nil, or from Standard to nil - but it can't go the other way.
    Of course if they do try to reduce it you still have the right to MR/appeal.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-06-20 at 21:04.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the above comments. It still seems wrong to me, but I think I see it clearer now.
    I guess that’s life......(shrug)