Thread: hello benefits and homeless

hello benefits and homeless

my freind claims support group esa and high rate dla, he is about to be kicked out of his home from his parents, does this mean hes benefits will stop if he has no address, he has severe mental health, scusidial attempts in the last 3 months self harm hearing voices, smashing home up due to voices, etc will his benefits stop as that is his support?

His benefits will not stop.

If he doesn't have his own bank account then he will need to sort out an alternative payment method though.

If he is thrown out then he should contact the DWP, to tell them what has happened - and let them know where (if anywhere) he will be living.

He should definitely contact his council Welfare Team and/or a local advice centre to get help and support with sorting out his situation.

You can find local advisors by putting his postcode in here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    His benefits will not stop.

If he doesn't have his own bank account then he will need to sort out an alternative payment method though.

If he is thrown out then he should contact the DWP, to tell them what has happened - and let them know where (if anywhere) he will be living.

He should definitely contact his council Welfare Team and/or a local advice centre to get help and support with sorting out his situation.

You can find local advisors by putting his postcode in here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

ok my freind said he needed a two bed for a career, but got told it may be a place with a one bed and a dining room is this usually a masiionate bungalow or house?

He is unlikely to get his own place at this stage. (It can happen but is pretty unusual, these things take time).

If he is being kicked out then it will be emergency accommodation, which from the description of 'one bed and a dining room' sounds as it it may be a B&B, or possibly a hostel.
    (It will be a shared bathroom, notice how that is not mentioned).

A (supervised) hostel may be the better option for now if he needs care/support.

OK, it's not great, - but usually a damn site better than living on the streets, or 'sofa surfing' around friends.

And once he is in emergency accommodation then the councils welfare team will be looking to get him somewhere of his own to rent as soon as they can.
    (It costs them a lot more money to keep people in emergency accommodation).
    Unfortunately no council has lots of empty properties just waiting around for people, so it may be a while before he can get a suitable place of his own.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.