Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy Hunt

Doggy Hunt

After losing our much loved little girl who is my profile picture at the grand old age of 16 1/2 in January we are now ready to adopt another little girl. Our home and hearts are empty.
    Tried lots of rescues to no avail, dogs are flying out the doors at a rate of knots. What will happen to them when folk go back to work and have no time for them? Will they end up back in rescue? I hope not, that is so cruel.

We fell in love with one that had been rescued from Romania and was in foster care. Arranged to go and meet her as her profile was everything we were looking for although I realise it may not have worked between her and us. I even put a deposit on her. (Not cheap to adopt an imported dog either)

Once the rescue found out I was disabled we were turned down saying the dog was too strong for us, what at 12 kilo? We are not frail things either. Wasn't even assessed with the dog which is annoying. They didn't want to know. If she wasn't right for us then so be it, I could have accepted that.
    Our garden meets all the DEFRA regulations for dog rescue, there was one small bit that didn't and we had that rectified before we started looking.

To say I was so upset is an understatement.

Been in contact with our vets who are willing to keep their ears open just in case they hear of anyone who can't keep their dog but don't want it to go into rescue. Private adoption really. We are not looking for a free dog either but are quite prepared to pay whatever for the right little girl.

Do you really need to import a rescue dog from EU ? Don't we have enough of our own dogs in the UK that need rescuing ?
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Do you really need to import a rescue dog from EU ? Don't we have enough of our own dogs in the UK that need rescuing ?
    Yes we do have plenty over here, we are looking at all rescues. The Romanian dogs for adoption are already in rescues over here amongst British dogs and all are needing homes. We would not "import" one ourselves.

The hunt goes on, we are not bothered about the origin of the dog so long as it is the "right" one for us.

Oh Beau - I'm so sorry - nobody understands unless they've been there themselves. Our little girl died a few years ago at the age of fourteen and we were distraught. Once you've lived with a dog the emptiness is hard to bear. We have a little lady now who's a doggie demolition squad(you'll know about that yourself!) but she brings us so much joy.
    We got her from the breeder we've used before but she's had her male dog neutered - he's been very prolific so he deserves a rest.
    I wish you well with your search and hope rescue/adoption centres will see what you have to offer. Good luck

I would love to start from a pup but that is not feasible due to our ages, the house training would be a problem because as you know you have to move fast to follow them round when they move and pop them outside if they look as if they are going to squat. Another point is that a pup would be a trip hazard for me besides which I would hate to hurt a dog by falling over it, that would devastate me.

Put a few feelers out with a couple of groomers we know and a couple of vets that we patronise. They all know how well we look after our dogs. No expense spared, if the dog needs it we will pay regardless of cost to us. We are not wealthy but in our life the dog comes first just as you would put a child first.

We have now been approved to adopt a new little girl and can't wait until we pick her up a week on Saturday. She is a gentle soul from Romania in a rescue over here. The hunt paid off, she must have been waiting for us.
    http://mayflowersanctuary.co.uk/pet/sissy/

Arh

next weekend the fun starts!

good luck & congratulations

Thank you Starbright. The fun will certainly start.
    We are visiting her regularly and she is recognising us and has started to respond to her name. She even gave me a lick on my arm when I was fussing her.
    The problem will be that they have a flight instinct, that will be the main problem initially until she learns to trust us, keeping her safe.

Can understand the flight instinct she has probably been through a lot so far in her 4 years

When you think about it, possibly lived in a home in Romania as she is loving. The Romanians kick their pets out when they are fed up with them. She will then have lived on the streets in fear of their government employed dog catchers who take them to a pound where they are put down and not even humanely.
    Don't even look up Romanian dog catchers, they are so cruel many dogs die before they reach the pound, broke my heart to read about them so I had to stop and shut down.

She was obviously found by a proper rescue over there and taken to safety where she was vet checked, spayed, vaccinated, given a pet passport and then when she was ready transported overland to here (that takes 2 days travelling) then in a rescue here. Now she is coming home with us.

Think about it, in a home, on the streets, in a rescue, on transport, in a rescue and now moved to a home. The stress must be horrendous for the dogs, no wonder they will be traumatised.

All that doesn't bear thinking about.