Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pip

Pip

Hi I was wondering someone could help me with pip I put a change in I was on low on both becouse they took hrm of me I've got a load of illness but I've been fighting 3 years with a new illness which is rare and no curer the lady I spoke to on the phone has lied all through the report I can not cook becouse heat plus other things make my illness worse she give me 2 points for that but it's in the pip papers it says ( harm includes damage to an individual's Heath for example if carrying out an activity could cause a substial and sustained worsening of a claimants condition meaning it is not safe for them to do it at all the individual should not be considered able to complete the activity safely at a level described in the descriptor given the nature of the activities with in the assessment ) I have Erythromelalgia .

I think they awarded 2 points because you could use a microwave to cook the meal so would not then be exposed to heat from a cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    I think they awarded 2 points because you could use a microwave to cook the meal so would not then be exposed to heat from a cooker.
    Does cooking a simple one course meal using fresh ingredients allow for a microwave? Surely someone can't be expected to use a microwave for every hot meal?

Apparently, the rules say a microwave is adequate. From TurnToUs site:

"Two points
    You can make a simple hot meal if you use a special aid (like a stool to sit on).

You can’t make a simple hot meal using a cooker but you can if you use a microwave.

You can only make a simple meal if someone reminds you to or tells you to."

From Citizen's Advice regarding PIP question 3:

"This question is about how your condition makes it difficult for you to:

prepare a simple meal for one
    heat it on a hob or in a microwave until it's safe to eat"
    Last edited by noisynoodle; 27-06-20 at 22:30.

What if you can't use the microwave becouse you can't grip the dish becouse you can't feel it

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterguyuk View Post
    Does cooking a simple one course meal using fresh ingredients allow for a microwave? Surely someone can't be expected to use a microwave for every hot meal?
    Take a look in any student flat, microwave meals (and takeways) is what most of them live on.

Not just students.
    My housemate is in his 50's, he has never used the kitchen in the 10 years that we have been living here. He has a microwave and a kettle (for pot noodle) in his room.
    Which gives me free range of the kitchen.

PS. I'm doing a fish pie today, I'll microwave the fish, boil a kettle for instant mash, grate some cheese and slice a tomato to put on top, then build it up in a pyrex dish.
    OK, I'll also use the hob to make a cheese sauce for the fish before topping it with mash, but you could buy an instant packet sauce.
    And then I'll bake it in the oven to cook the tomato, melt the cheese topping, and brown the potato still uncovered on top. - But I could just as easily microwave it instead (no browned top though).

Edit - All cooked and going cold waiting to be assembled/baked later, additions are chopped hard boiled egg to go in with the fish chunks when they cool before baking, and a sliced leek in the cheese sauce.
    (Dried dill, taragon, and mustard aslo make an appearence in either the sauce or the mash).
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-06-20 at 11:27.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    What if you can't use the microwave becouse you can't grip the dish becouse you can't feel it
    That would be covered by the descriptor about gripping objects rather that the taking nutrition descriptors.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Take a look in any student flat, microwave meals (and takeways) is what most of them live on.
    The particular organisation I sought advice from regarding this descriptor told me that due to the fact that I may need to leave the kitchen urgently because of toilet needs and thus leave my cooking unattended, that I need 'assistance or supervision', rather than 'can cook using a microwave', so 4 points rather than 2 points.

If I was to use a microwave only and not an over or hob, I could safely leave the kitchen at any time as it's on a timer and there would be no safety issue. So which descriptor should apply?

I think that you have answered your own question;

If I was to use a microwave only and not an over or hob, I could safely leave the kitchen at any time as it's on a timer and there would be no safety issue.
    If you can do that safely on your own then you have no need of assistance/supervision to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If you can do that safely on your own then you have no need of assistance/supervision to do it.
    If solely using a microwave to cook all hot meals constitutes a simple one course meal then yes. I guess it depends on peoples expectations and standards of a one course meal. I can't think of any meat I would want to cook in a microwave - a chicken breast, sausages, pork chops, leg of lamb? Using a microwave to me is not 'cooking'. This differentiates us from people without disabilities, they would never only use a microwave to prepare meals.

But it doesn't matter what I think, their ridiculous rules are final.