Thread: Blue car badge

Angry Blue car badge

I have over the past few years on about 5 occasions forgotten to display my badges when parking only to return to my car to have a £75 fine imposed. Now in this day and age I think the traffic wardens should be able to ascertain that my car has a badge allocated to it. I know County Hall have all this information but seem to rather like collecting the fines for something that is pretty much a trait that comes with being elderly “forgetting!”. There’s nothing you can do about it and it seems to me in this age of “isms” - ageism doesnt get much of a look in. We have all the technical stuff available but they would rather the traffic wardens take photos and print out tickets. I have read that most fines for blue badge owners are due to “forgetting”,. Not right or fair.

No, the blue badge is allocated to the person and not the car.

It's quite simply the case that by not displaying your blue badge, you've got fined.

I know what you mean.

If it makes you feel any better I had to "dry" myself after a shower last night with a very damp towel because I put them in the washing machine to wash which I did I just forgot I had put them in there so they were left damp in the washing machine!

Can't say it was a nice experience

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora20 View Post
    I have read that most fines for blue badge owners are due to “forgetting”,. Not right or fair.
    In all fairness the warden was only doing his/her job and wasn't to know you had just forgotten to display the badge. There are avenues of appeal so you can try that.

I received a ticket a few years back due to not checking I had displayed the ticket correctly and the wind blew it off the dash when I opened the door. Warden was only doing his job saw no ticket displayed and rightly issued the fine. So I wrote to the council enclosing my ticket and explaining what had happened the fine was was cancelled without any issues.

I know when I applied for my first BB back in 2008 the council asked for the reg of my car but all the renewals since then they haven’t.

I know its something that can easily be done, forgetting the badge on the dash when you have so many other things to do while preparing yourselves to get out of the car, get wheelchair/scooter ready and add to that today, hand wipes and gels but its something you need to do by habit.

Unfortunately your going to have to pay the fine, that said you could asked politely for a reduction of the fine and give them a photo copy of your badge and saying sorry for forgetting but in future I think you will remember to display the badge.

I wonder if there is anything you can put in your car that will remind you to put the pass out.

Perhaps a note stuck to the inside of the drivers door saying put pass out as that's the last thing you look at before leaving the car